Tom Waits Fan Forums

A haven for the Tom Waits Fans of the world!
>
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:31 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 406, 407, 408, 409, 410  Next
 Post subject: Re: Concert Attendance
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:20 pm 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

Location: On a flatboat, heading to Natchez, with no shirt and no coat (aka NYC)
surfraptor wrote:
I have been missing gigs because I forget ... Sarah knows ... :whistle:
Last nite BoomBoom messaged me "see you tonite AFP?"
Damn forgot!

I almost... ALMOST... PMed you to remind you about that show. But I didn't want you to think I was making fun of you for forgetting shows all the time... :lol: Next time I will trust my instincts!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:30 am 
Papa Razzi
 WWW  Profile

SarahV wrote:
I almost... ALMOST... PMed you to remind you about that show. But I didn't want you to think I was making fun of you for forgetting shows all the time... :lol: Next time I will trust my instincts!

Yes please!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:32 am 
Papa Razzi
 WWW  Profile

Oh and thanks to BoomBoom and you for the reiminder the London gig will be streaming live!
https://live.amandapalmer.net/amandapal ... ven-jun-13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:48 am 
Nighthawk

Would love to see Amanda Palmer again, but she doesn't seem to hit the Northern trail at all...

For me a bit of jazzy stuff for a change, nice old time touch to it with some schlager and tango thrown in. Dallape, this band - or should I say orchestra - was born here in the neighbourhood in the 1920's and has a park named after it, very much one of the cornerstones of early Finnish popular music. The modern version luckily respects the original in it's approach and output, basically this is solid gold dance music. It takes two to tango, too bad I've got two left foot...

Attachments:
20170612_215307.jpg
20170612_215307.jpg [ 1.77 MiB | Viewed 120 times ]
2017-06-12 20.23.53.jpg
2017-06-12 20.23.53.jpg [ 372.63 KiB | Viewed 120 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:10 am 
Nighthawk

Helsinki Mood wrote:
Would love to see Amanda Palmer again, but she doesn't seem to hit the Northern trail at all...

For me a bit of jazzy stuff for a change, nice old time touch to it with some schlager and tango thrown in. Dallape, this band - or should I say orchestra - was born here in the neighbourhood in the 1920's and has a park named after it, very much one of the cornerstones of early Finnish popular music. The modern version luckily respects the original in it's approach and output, basically this is solid gold dance music. It takes two to tango, too bad I've got two left foot...

Sounds very interesting. I'd love to go to Finland and hear something like that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:27 pm 
Nighthawk

Wow, that's a long time running band. Going to have to look them up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:27 pm 
Papa Razzi
 WWW  Profile

Another vid I took at the Amanda Palmer & Edward Ka-Spel gig ...
I never payed much attention to the Legendary Pink Dots ... checking em out now ... me likes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:25 pm 
Nighthawk

Cheers for the clips, Surf! Love her stuff!

Only ever seen her play live once, she sure knows how to put on a show. Ukulele miniset without the band was a real treat, coming into the crowd and doing her thing, loved it! Here's a clip I shot, a Radiohead (uh!) cover:

https://youtu.be/py35Jmqi-iU

And here's another clip, one of my faves, Leeds United. Oh I do love West Yorkshire! Suppose this song is from time before Neil Gaiman when she went out with the singer of Kaiser Chiefs, band, incidentally, from Leeds.

https://youtu.be/3IB1Nmv_GD8

She's never been to Finland, cancelled it once and, well, just wish one fine day...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:35 am 
Nighthawk

Location: sometimes I live in a country,sometimes I live in town
Chicago Blues Fest, three days, over 24 hours of music, no sleep, full moon, also worked three days in the meantime.

Seen and heard:

The Mike Wheeler Band, Cedric Burnside, Jarekus Singleton, John Primer and The Real Deal, Rhymefest, Billy Branch, Lurrie Bell, Freddie Dixon, Carlos Johnson, Carl Weathersby, Bill McFarland,Billy Flynn, Johnny Iguana, Roosevelt Purifoy, Nellie Tiger Travis, Theo Huff, William Bell, Matthew Skoller, Big Bill Morganfield, Coco Montoya, Kenny Beedy Eyes Smith, Ronnie Baker Brooks, Rhiannon Giddens ( HOLLY SHIT!!! :notworthy: ),Gary Clark Jr, Omar Coleman, Russ Green, Lamont Harris...(just to name few :P )

Attachments:
586 (2).JPG
586 (2).JPG [ 3.49 MiB | Viewed 54 times ]
266 (2).JPG
266 (2).JPG [ 2.83 MiB | Viewed 54 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:07 am 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

Location: On a flatboat, heading to Natchez, with no shirt and no coat (aka NYC)
Ina!! :love: [hug] Now the trick is to keep logging in every day so you can't forget your password again. :ninja:

Went to a really fun gig this afternoon, Marc Ribot and Steven Bernstein sat in with Italian Surf Academy at a teeny little room in Brooklyn with about 15 seats. So much fun to see Marc playing surf and blues guitar. SB was late due to being caught in traffic and they had to start without him... but halfway through the third song, a triumphant trumpet solo suddenly rang out from the back of the room - there he was, having just walked in to the venue, carrying three instruments and his mutes and etc., and he just dropped everything and joined in at the right moment. The audience and the rest of the band were delighted at his grand entrance. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:37 am 
Nighthawk

SarahV wrote:
Ina!! :love: [hug] Now the trick is to keep logging in every day so you can't forget your password again. :ninja:

Went to a really fun gig this afternoon, Marc Ribot and Steven Bernstein sat in with Italian Surf Academy at a teeny little room in Brooklyn with about 15 seats. So much fun to see Marc playing surf and blues guitar. SB was late due to being caught in traffic and they had to start without him... but halfway through the third song, a triumphant trumpet solo suddenly rang out from the back of the room - there he was, having just walked in to the venue, carrying three instruments and his mutes and etc., and he just dropped everything and joined in at the right moment. The audience and the rest of the band were delighted at his grand entrance. :D

Haha! Sounds fantastic.

So does the blues fest, Ina.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:11 pm 
Ring Leader
 WWW  Profile

Made the trek to Chicago to check out the Nick Cave show!! MAN that guy does a great live set. A few Boatmans Call tracks mixed in with the amazing Skeleton Tree album. <3
I also got the opportunity to hang out with Kara!! Slightly tipsy selfie below :P

Attachments:
19222765_10155516543814060_7285296214275745407_o.jpg
19222765_10155516543814060_7285296214275745407_o.jpg [ 264.03 KiB | Viewed 21 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:02 pm 
Nighthawk

JJ_Blackrider23 wrote:
Made the trek to Chicago to check out the Nick Cave show!! MAN that guy does a great live set. A few Boatmans Call tracks mixed in with the amazing Skeleton Tree album. <3
I also got the opportunity to hang out with Kara!! Slightly tipsy selfie below :P

Wow! Wonderful. Nice to see the two of you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:09 pm 
Nighthawk

How wonderful to see both of you, Kara and JJ! :clap:

I was stunned by Nick's show, and was surprised by how many Skeleton Tree songs he performed, since they seem so tragic and personal.
This is the third time I've seen him live, but this is the first time I've felt a sense of poignancy, almost as if his performance was a kind of therapy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:24 pm 
Ring Leader
 WWW  Profile

This will make the second time I have seen him live, and I'm actually glad I saw him once before. I think you are right Mel. His prior performance hit me with the power of his performance. This one hit me with depth. Having a 15 yr old son myself makes those songs sing to my heart even deeper *sigh*.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 406, 407, 408, 409, 410  Next