Tom Waits Fan Forums

A haven for the Tom Waits Fans of the world!
>
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Recording Studio Design
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:27 pm 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

I have an odd question. For years I've been thinking of setting up a home recording studio in my garage but was unsure where to start. Now I'm close to the point where I've gotten the funding to actually go through with it properly, mixing room, booth, the whole nine yards. The curious question I have though concerns the booth. My stepfather has a Walk-in cooler that he suggested may work for a booth I can have for free. Its plenty big enough, in great shape, well insulated and of course the price can't be beaten. I'm just curious what kind of sound quality you would get recording in such an odd atmosphere? Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Recording Studio Design
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:06 pm 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

Location: On a flatboat, heading to Natchez, with no shirt and no coat (aka NYC)
Other people would know better than me, but I would imagine (if the walls are left untreated) in a walk-in-cooler you'd get a lot of reflection off the walls. But it might be OK if you used foam/carpet/etc. to absorb sound. But you want some reflection to sound natural, too... it's a balance.

I think mostly what you have to worry about is size/shape of the space and reflectivity of materials in terms of sound waves.

How big is it exactly?

I'll be interested to hear how this project turns out :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:14 am 
Nighthawk

Yes, what you cover the walls with will make a big difference.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:16 am 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

Those were some of my concerns too Sarah & Minefield. The interior of a walk-in is galvanized metal so I'm sure it would have to be covered. Inside of that though is a very thick foam making it virtually soundproof. I was looking at these Auralex 2" Studiofoam Wedges and I was thinking I could use those or something similar at first to cover it up in to improve the acoustics. I've not given it a proper measure but it is approximately 12' x 16' and low enough to fit in my large garage and still have plenty of room for everything else. I'll keep doing some more digging and see if I can find any advantages/disadvantages to using this though. Thanks for the responses :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:47 am 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

Location: On a flatboat, heading to Natchez, with no shirt and no coat (aka NYC)
Sounds like it will make a pretty cool recording space!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:40 pm 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

After a bit more research I think I am going to stay away from the walk-in cooler :happy: While it would definitely be unique it seems it would not offer very good acoustics and I would be much better off building a room within a room configuration from scratch.

However, being a fan of the if-you're-going-to-do-something-big-do-it-right approach I think my cost just went up quite a bit. Not a bad thing, just pushed my time frame back a bit.

I've been recommended this book: http://www.amazon.com/Home-Recording-Studio-Build-Like/dp/143545717X So I think I'm going to order that and give it some good research before I just jump in and start slapping walls up and end up with something I don't care for.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:39 pm 
Papa Razzi
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:44 pm 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

Hahaha! Not sure I would stock it with Heineken though! Upon further review the bigger problem with the walk-in would be the cost of properly ventilating it while still trapping the sound and keeping the acoustics nice. It is stricken from the list ;)