Tom Waits Fan Forums

A haven for the Tom Waits Fans of the world!
>
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:22 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 611 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Marc Ribot
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:51 pm 
Raindog

Isn't there a thread about the fellow who had one of the main roles in the musical landscape of Tom Waits?

Let's jump straight to Marc and his free-punk-funk-experimental-psychedelic-post-electronica-collective. Last night I went to a concert with them, in a small club named Cosmopolite in Oslo. Far away from sold out, but what a gig! Lucky us that "confiscated" the last table in front row. Great band -awesome drummer, and Eszter Balint, the singer and violinist was a great suprise- I still can’t forget their amazing version of Iggy pop’s ”Cry for love.” It was ”touché”.

To have a nice convercation with this sympathetic ”hombre” after the concert was just great. Talking about Raindogs, Cuba and music quite made the evening.

Btw, Marc Ribot likes using Fender extra heavy picks.

Post subject: Re: Marc Ribot
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:03 pm 
Flash Pan Hunter

Saw Ribot in Amsterdam, Bimhuis, 24 October, same band.

Posted on the thread Concert Attendance the following posting. Hope you will like it. (PS: If you can help me to his e-mail address, I would be very grateful. Want to ask him to play along on one song (November), on banjo, on a cd that I'm currently making. (Ambitious, yes, I know). Had prepared to ask him then and there, in Amsterdam. First I was too shy, also because I was blown away by his performance at the Bimhuis. And when I finally dared to ask him, he did not show up in the bar)

From the Concert Attendance thread:

surfraptor wrote:
Just back from Ribot
Great fukkin gig!!!
Met Raindog Harry and friend and talked to Ches Smith (great drummer!!)
Had 4 duvels and made it home safe

My reply to Surf''s posting:

I honestly found Ribot's concert at the Bimhuis on 24 October the best concert I have ever experienced! So exciting, so fucking musical, so full of surprising changes from soft, melodic to justified-hell-of-a-noise. Absolutely loved it! The bass player looked like a Dementor from a Harry Potter-movie (don't know what a Dementor is called in the English Potter movies, they are the creatures who suck every feeling of happiness out of you . Ribot was just very, very cool and collected. The girl with the strange instrument with a tube hanging in her mouth was heavenly. And the drummer had an energy and musical talent that blew me off my feet. A brilliant, absolutely brilliant concert.

It is six in the morning over here. I am drinking a red wine, and am still overcome by and recovering from my first experience in a recording studio. Sang my twelve Tom Waits translations, about four takes per song, so sang for more than four hours, concentrated. Had waited for this for 35 years. (Had to raise a family first, and buy new clogs, which took some time).

It was so fucking great to do it. A small studio in the Jordaan in Amsterdam. Just a door behind which no one would expect a studio. Bowie recorded there, Paul Weller, Randy Crawford. And your humble raindog, today. Hope to post a video tomorrow which my sun-son shot, he'll make a compilation tomorrow. Have to go to bed now. Take my mother to hospital on Friday. Life is full of extremes sometimes.

Harry (enjoying the wine)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:31 pm 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

Location: On a flatboat, heading to Natchez, with no shirt and no coat (aka NYC)
Nice thread :clap: I have one of those too, although not autographed in person... that would be much cooler 8)

I've seen Ceramic Dog three times, the last two were really especially outstanding concerts. Reviews posted here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1510&start=2845
and
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1510&start=2494

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:08 pm 
Nighthawk

can't have a marc ribot thread without me :)

i last saw marc with los cubanos postizos at tonic in march of 2002. standing literally three feet in front of my personal guitar hero for the duration of the show, it was easily one of the most memorable and enjoyable live music experiences of my life.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:03 am 
Papa Razzi
 WWW  Profile

Great thread Roar!!

Would love to have seen that band, JK!!!
By the way nice location
One of my fav Zimmerman songs :D

the only vid on YT of the gig Harry & I saw
(why the fukk did I forget the memorycard of my camera?) :x

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:11 am 
Papa Razzi
 WWW  Profile

seen Ribot 3 times now
This was the 1st gig ...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:27 am 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

Location: On a flatboat, heading to Natchez, with no shirt and no coat (aka NYC)
surfraptor wrote:
seen Ribot 3 times now

As of this year, I've seen Ribot more times than I've seen TW :!: If this keeps up you're going to have to kick me out and make me find a Ribotforum...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:43 am 
Nighthawk

SarahV wrote:
surfraptor wrote:
seen Ribot 3 times now

As of this year, I've seen Ribot more times than I've seen TW :!: If this keeps up you're going to have to kick me out and make me find a Ribotforum...

we should start one for him. if anyone deserves one, it's the heavyweight champion of guitar tone. :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:18 pm 
Raindog

With all respect, Marc deserve his own tread in this forum.

I remember that I asked him if there was any plans for a reunion with Tom, and he quickly responded that Tom still have his phonenumber, and he will find him there.

What a mess! : D I wonder if he need a diagram of connection before every show?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:08 pm 
Nighthawk

I just wished Marc Ribot would come to my part of the country.

TELL THE BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!
"Oh shit, Tell the boys back home I'm doin just fine"
Tom Waits/Paul Petrey
Louisville 8-7-2006

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:06 pm 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

I know what you mean. He almost never plays anywhere but NYC and Europe... it is such a short and easy trip to do a show here in Boston and AFAIK he's only done one show here (as a sideman with T-Bone Burnett) in the last 5+ years... although that one show was on my birthday, so he gets bonus points for that :D But I would be so freaking excited if he would come up and do a show at one of our great rock clubs like the Middle East or the Paradise, or one of the more arty venues like the ICA or MFA... he was actually scheduled to do a solo show at the ICA, I had a ticket 2nd row center, and he canceled... boo.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:40 pm 
Raindog

Iggy Pop (with a beer belly) :D joined Marc Ribot & co in Germany.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:38 pm 
Papa Razzi
 WWW  Profile

:clap:
thanks for that!!!
Ceramic Dog!!

:megaphone: Iggy wear a shirt!!

maybe not ...
I dont wanna grow up!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:23 pm 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

Seems unlikely that he'll update this much, but if anyone's on twitter:
http://twitter.com/marcribotmusic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:17 am 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

Still one of my favorite youtube videos of all time:

La Cumbiamba Eneye have a new album coming out soon that Ribot played on, I can't wait to hear it. They recorded a couple of songs together on a Dan Zanes album and I absolutely love the combination. Plus, I saw a similar amalgam band in May (postizos meets la cumbiamba meets ceramic dog), and in retrospect I really think it stands as the most fun concert I've ever been to. I kick myself for not taping it, but of course that would have spoiled the show for me anyway - the paradox of taping. (Try recording a show while dancing in the front row right in front of the bongos... it doesn't turn out well :mrgreen: )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 611 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next