Tom Waits Fan Forums

A haven for the Tom Waits Fans of the world!
>
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 412  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:59 pm 
One Eyed King

chunkrock wrote:
Going to see The Mountain Goats next Tuesday!! It's gonna be so good. I'm also debating seeing Bad Religion with the Dropkick Murpheys next friday as It's my birthday. However tickets are $50 and I'm not sure it's worth that plus the $60 it would cost me to get down there.

I saw the dropkicks 7 or 8 years ago in a small club in Chicago and they were really good live. They played with Oxymoron and the duckey boys. I wouldn't drop 50 bucks on them, but they were a lot of fun live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:04 pm 
Pretty Little Bullet
 WWW  Profile

jenangeles wrote:
since its your birthday you should make your friends chip in $$

Yea I was thinking of doing that. However there would also be the $60 for me to take the there and back the greyhound from here to toronto is expensive. But we'll see. Another friend is going to see the tour a couple days before in a different city so I'll ask him for a review of the show and then see if it's worth it for me to drop that kinda cash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:08 pm 
Nighthawk

Going to see Elf Power tonight!! In a small indie-venue that seats about 150 people!!

Excellent!!!

psych-poppingly,

- DC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:39 am 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

I saw the Folaming Lips ... to be confused with the Flaming Lips... a few hours ago... and some others... and ya know what? Wayne Coyne (sp?) surfed the crowd in a giant bubble...

get it.... Surf.... bubble?

True Story, kids.... swaer on my Aunt Martha's Bible...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:53 am 
Nighthawk

tiver_me_ shimbers wrote:
I saw the Folaming Lips ... to be confused with the Flaming Lips... a few hours ago... and some others... and ya know what? Wayne Coyne (sp?) surfed the crowd in a giant bubble...

get it.... Surf.... bubble?

True Story, kids.... swaer on my Aunt Martha's Bible...

Hell Yeah, DC even has pics to back that up...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:53 pm 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

Saw Pearl Jam last night. They rocked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:50 am 
Nighthawk

Baby Bizarre wrote:
Saw Pearl Jam last night. They rocked.
In Zagreb? I saw them in Prague on the 23rd. It was fantastic I was in the very front, and everything was just perfect. Great setlist too. I liked the Zagreb setlist as well, and I`m a little jealous you got to hear Porch, one of my favorite songs (actually that`s where my screen name comes from).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:05 am 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

Yeah, Zagreb setlist was really something. The atmosphere too. I'm really glad I decided to see them despite the very expensive tickets and what I thought was poor newest album (althought that grew on me eventually :D ). I had a laugh reading in today's paper how Eddie Vedder sounded like Pope John Paul II when he spoke Croatian (that's a compliment, seriously!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:20 am 
Nighthawk

Baby Bizarre wrote:
Yeah, Zagreb setlist was really something. The atmosphere too. I'm really glad I decided to see them despite the very expensive tickets and what I thought was poor newest album (althought that grew on me eventually :D ). I had a laugh reading in today's paper how Eddie Vedder sounded like Pope John Paul II when he spoke Croatian (that's a compliment, seriously!).
Were the tickets expensive? In my experience Pearl Jam tickets are always a lot cheaper than the other major acts out there, it`s something they`ve been fighting a lot to be able to do actually.

By the way: I met a Norwegian at the Prague show, and he`s going to every single show of the European tour!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:27 am 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

Yes, the Zagreb tickets were expensive. I have never payed as much for a concert ticket before. I don't even remember any show costing as much among the ones I haven't attended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:28 am 
Nighthawk

A friend of mine is seeing five of the shows...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:34 am 
Nighthawk

Baby Bizarre wrote:
Yes, the Zagreb tickets were expensive. I have never payed as much for a concert ticket before. I don't even remember any show costing as much among the ones I haven't attended.
Really? What a shame, and very weird as well. I can`t remember exactly what I paid for the Prague tickets, but I think they were quite reasonable.

RuDiger wrote:
A friend of mine is seeing five of the shows...
Lucky bastid!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:46 am 
Nighthawk

he has to travel a lot jobwise, so he can combine this perfectly...plus he's a real big fan...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:10 pm 
Nighthawk

I went to see Unknown Hinson on Friday at a local bar; it wa smy first time to see this guy after hearing much about him.

http://www.unknownhinson.com/

He is billed as the King of Country Western Troubedours

He has a great schtick going in his appearance and lyrics, but his guitar playing is no laughing matter; the version of Voodoo Chile he play was nothing short of amazing. He wraps his thumb around the neck to play the E string ala Jimi too...it was a nice touch.

From his website:
Quote:
The UNtold Story of Unknown
Looking somewhat like Dracula's nasty little brother who spent some hard years drinking and working as a carnival barker for a second-rate freak show, Unknown Hinson translates that vibe to his style of country and western-tinged psychobilly. Hailing from Charlotte, North Carolina, this red-necked crooner gained regional popularity with a self-produced television show in 1992 and soon was touring nationwide, wowing audiences with his outrageous and campy, white-trash persona and freewheeling, sleazy tone. Hinson’s most recent CD release, “Target Practice”, melds weepy twang and searing guitar riffs and lyrics that speak of love-gone-bad and the dark side of the honky-tonk lifestyle. Raucous, theatrical and over-the-top, Unknown Hinson isn’t just for the trailer park set anymore!

He's toured with Hank3 and Rev. Horton Heat.
Billy Bob Thornton names Unknown as one of his favorite songwriters and a genius picker. Matt Groening (the Simpsons) labels Unknown as a guitar maniac (and funny as hell to boot!) Hank3 has Unknown's face tatooed on his bicep! Marty Stuart introduced him as his illegitimate brother at the Ryman in Nashville, and is placing Unknown on the front cover of his upcoming book of personal photographs. Tom Petty came backstage at a Hollywood event to ask Unknown how he gets his "sound". The Rolling Stones invited him to participate in the soundcheck session for their latest show in Charlotte, NC.

Unknown is also gaining notoriety (and fans) as the voice of lead character "Early Cuyler" in the popular new show from Cartoon Network "The Squidbillies". The first season was so well-received that an immediate green light was given to two more seasons.

What do ventriloquism, hoola hoop contests, target practice, monster sideburns, and hellacious guitar solos have in common? Book Unknown Hinson and find out!

I highly recommend checking out his live act...what a fukking great time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:37 pm 
Papa Razzi
 WWW  Profile

Baby Bizarre wrote:

Tom Waits Amsterdam 2004...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 412  Next