Tom Waits Fan Forums

A haven for the Tom Waits Fans of the world!
>
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1499 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next
 Post subject: Re: planned concert attendance within the rest of the year
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:15 pm 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

Location: On a flatboat, heading to Natchez, with no shirt and no coat (aka NYC)
vibesman wrote:
Been a long time since I've been so excited to see a concert announcement and bought immediate a ticket.

November : Trombone Shorty in Belgium, Leuven.

Fun! I've never seen him...

On August 8 + 9 there are three big John Zorn gigs going on sale... I'm not used to having to plan so far ahead for him :P The shows are not until October and April.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:49 am 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

Location: On a flatboat, heading to Natchez, with no shirt and no coat (aka NYC)
Tonight I was at a show and the violist told us about their next concert (in August) and said we should put it on our calendars. Then he waited a second and said "I don't see you marking that down on your calendars!!" (Joking, of course.)

So I called out "it's already on my calendar!"

I think he thought I was kidding... but I wasn't :lol: :ninja:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:57 am 
Nighthawk

SarahV wrote:
Tonight I was at a show and the violist told us about their next concert (in August) and said we should put it on our calendars. Then he waited a second and said "I don't see you marking that down on your calendars!!" (Joking, of course.)

Haha! Wonderful anecdote.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:08 am 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

SarahV wrote:

Hehe!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:24 pm 
Nighthawk

Always good to plan ahead! Our tickets just arrived for next season at the nearby Hopkins art center theater, 7 shows, Nov through May of next year. I don't know that there's anything in there I would have thought to go see if it weren't happening there but it's always fun to hear something new & unfamiliar. We've got John Paul White (1/2 of the former Civil Wars duo who I'd seen a couple of times & really liked) Ruthie Foster, original blues, soul, R&B? JD Souther, Marty Stuart, John Scofield Joe Lovano Quartet, John Gorka (have seen him a couple of times. One of my all time favorite song writers) & local bluegrass band Monroe Crossing (who I've never seen). Those along with Bad Plus & Bill Frisell in Sept. & David Grisman & Tommy Emmanuel in Nov. Not exactly a Sarah V concert pace but gives us a lot to look forward to. :beer:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:57 am 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

I don't know Joe Lovano's work that well (seen him a couple of times but nothing too notable) but he does some pretty killer stuff on one of Zorn's Book of Angels albums, "Stolas." Should be a good gig :) He's at the Village Vanguard this week with a nonet, but I'm not planning to go...

Today I picked up a last-minute front row seat for tomorrow's American Acoustic tour stop at the Beacon with the Punch Brothers, I'm With Her (an all-female bluegrass supergroup of Sara Watkins, Aoife O'Donovan, and Sarah Jarosz*), and Julian Lage. Yum. I'm a little annoyed that it is on the same night as a free Ghost Train Orchestra gig, but I have seen them a few times this year already so I can skip it.

I have six possible concerts on the list for Saturday and I'm really perplexed as to which I should see.
1. Nels Cline's "Lovers" - free, in an unpleasant/uncomfortable outdoor venue over an hour away by subway.
2. Nick Lowe & Los Straitjackets - free, at a much closer and somewhat less unpleasant outdoor venue.
3. The guys from last week whose show I had already put on my calendar: Mat Maneri & Lucian Ban. Also an hour away.
4. A John Zorn thing with a really loud band I only sort of like (Trigger) at the (new) Stone.
5. A weird-looking jazz thing with an electronics artist I like (Ikue Mori) at the (old) Stone.
6. A less weird-looking jazz thing with a guitarist I like (Brandon Seabrook, and he looks like a young Tom Waits).

Kind of leaning toward #2... but my friends will probably all go to #1 because the line-up is so great, and they mostly live a lot closer to it, and the metal chairs probably don't cause them quite as much pain...

*I will be shocked if I spelled all of those names right.

Last edited by SarahV on Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:01 am 
Nighthawk

SarahV wrote:

*I will be shocked if I spelled all of those names right.

I think you nailed it but I'm not going to be the one to spell check :ninja: Have you seen Sarah Jarosz yet? I'm just crazy about her. I hope she does Come On Up To The House but maybe she won't in that setting

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:09 am 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

I saw her do a short set once, but I barely remember the gig. It was slotted into that job chaos/serious illness/psychotic landlady/horrific neighbors/prepping to move to NYC thing I had going on in 2014. My brain generally tries to pretend that year didn't happen.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:12 am 
Nighthawk

I guess this should be a better & more memorable experience then :?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:15 am 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

Let's hope! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:26 am 
Pretty Little Bullet

SarahV wrote:
vibesman wrote:
Been a long time since I've been so excited to see a concert announcement and bought immediate a ticket.

November : Trombone Shorty in Belgium, Leuven.

Fun! I've never seen him...

On August 8 + 9 there are three big John Zorn gigs going on sale... I'm not used to having to plan so far ahead for him :P The shows are not until October and April.

He will play in NYC this 13+14 Octorber if I recall it correct...but general admission...means standing only ...mmmmhhh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:27 pm 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

swordfishtrombone wrote:
He will play in NYC this 13+14 Octorber if I recall it correct...but general admission...means standing only ...mmmmhhh

Yeah, at Terminal 5. Not happening for me. But I already have a concert conflict those nights anyway - Steven Bernstein at the (new) Stone and the HONK NYC festival...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:41 am 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

Signs you like unpopular music...

So, there was a concert (actually a pair of them, sold together) that was going on sale today. We didn't have a time, just a date. My friend Mike and I were both keeping a close eye on it. I checked last night at midnight (in case it went on sale the second it became August 8th). Nope. He PMed me this morning and said the website was now saying 10AM. Great. We both get online around 9:45 and there is this countdown ticket queue telling us that when the countdown stops we will be assigned a place in line and then we will be allowed to buy a ticket. Never saw that before - Mike said the only time he has seen it was for World Series tickets. Crazy! So eventually it's 10AM and we frantically buy tickets as fast as we can.

It's now almost twelve hours later and according to the seat map, the two seats we bought are the only two that have been sold. Thank goodness we planned ahead and tried so hard to get tickets the second they went on sale! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:22 am 
Nighthawk

At this rate you won't have to worry about rude and talkative audience members. :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:56 am 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

Melisma wrote:
At this rate you won't have to worry about rude and talkative audience members. :P

John Zorn's presence usually takes care of that... :roll:

I wonder if I can rig together some sort of portable foot-elevation device to bring to concerts when I'm in the front row, post-op. (This particular one is 2 days after I get my sutures out...)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1499 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next