Tom Waits Fan Forums

A haven for the Tom Waits Fans of the world!
>
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 468 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
 Post subject: Re: What are you playing at the moment?!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:37 am 
Nighthawk

Wow. Come on up to the house.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:43 am 
Nighthawk

mikalebrug wrote:
MikeWaits wrote:
I usually get your updates straight from Soundcloud but somehow missed this one Mikale. Awesome tune, love the emotion in it.

Thanks. Everyone.

Yes, I guess a lot of the emotion comes from my childhood. I'm a city boy, but I usually spent my summers and some of my winter holidays on my grandparents' farm in the middle of the woods. It was wonderful, of course, but there was always a sense of intense melancholia. It was so quiet. A big old early 19th century mansion with lots of rooms that no one used. There was always a clock ticking or a fly buzzing somewhere, and it seemed loud, because of the absence of sound. Everyone was always out doing some chore on the farm. When you went into a room you could sometimes hear steps following you. Very spooky, until you realized it was only the old floorboards settling after you had walked on them.

And there was this feeling of never-ending space. Hills and woods and creeks and abandoned places. If someone's car broke down they didn't have to take it to the local dump, they just drove it slightly out of the way and left it there. Huge old rusting farm equipment everywhere like dead dinosaurs.

And there was a quiet desperation too. Finding my uncle drunk in a ditch one night screaming : "I don't want to be a farmer!" Funny, but also very sad. The young men going to the local dancehall, standing in the bushes outside swigging homemade booze before getting the courage to go in. And when they finally went up to a girl and asked her to dance they were usually so drunk that they fell over and ruined the evening.

A lot of that is in this song, I guess.

Someone else bought the farm a few years ago, and the brothers have moved to different towns. Here's a picture of the place as I remember it.
Thanks for those images. Very well put.

This sounds very much like where I lived a big part of my childhood (we were a hippie family moving about a lot, but this place we actually stayed for several years).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:55 am 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

My wife and I both really enjoyed hearing that story Mikale, very heartfelt.

I recorded an acoustic cover of Make it Rain. Did it live, then dubbed the lead/bit of extra rhythm on seperate tracks.

Listen to Make it Rain [Acoustic]
https://soundcloud.com/mike-durham-7/ma ... n-acoustic

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 468 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32