Tom Waits Fan Forums

A haven for the Tom Waits Fans of the world!
>
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:58 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3589 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 236, 237, 238, 239, 240
 Post subject: Re: Currently reading or last book read.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:03 pm 
Nighthawk

mikalebrug wrote:
Horribly dated? But it's from 2006?... Ah ... sorry. For some reason I thought we were talking about Cormac McCarthy's The Road. That's what my comments were about. But when I think about it they actually apply to On The Road as well.. :D

:lol:

Put that shite down Terry and get a proper book, go get some "Pale Fire" for yourself!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:06 pm 
Nighthawk

MR SIEGAL wrote:
mikalebrug wrote:
Horribly dated? But it's from 2006?... Ah ... sorry. For some reason I thought we were talking about Cormac McCarthy's The Road. That's what my comments were about. But when I think about it they actually apply to On The Road as well.. :D

:lol:

Put that shite down Terry and get a proper book, go get some "Pale Fire" for yourself!

Send me a copy! Truth is, I haven't read many books in years. Found On The Road in one of the kids rooms when I was packing to move. I'm kind of enjoying just reading a book again, guess it doesn't have to be great (as long as it's short & moves fast :mrgreen: ) Jane got me a copy of a new bio on Leonardo DaVinci for Christmas that I read & then just looked around the house for something else.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:33 pm 
Nighthawk

So I read another book by Patrick McCabe - Winterwood. I didn't like it as much as The Stray Sod Country, but I really liked it a lot.

It's a very strange novel, which takes the concept of "the unreliable narrator" to new levels. After a while you're wondering if the story told by the main character is really true. The facts don't add up, as some of the other characters are keen to point out. On the other hand you're wondering how much truth is in the stories that these characters tell. Their stories certainly don't add up either. In fact you're wondering if some of the characters are actually the same as the main narrator. And the dialogue is sometimes so obviously fake (sounding like it's from either a bad soap opera or a bad Western) that you have to wonder if all of this is just fantasy....

On top of that you get a more philosophical discussion about "the good old Ireland" versus modern times. Where the author seems to think that the whole idea of more innocent times filled with "craic" is a big rotten lie. On the other hand maybe he's just pulling our leg...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:08 am 
Nighthawk

I just read The Ministry of Utmost Happiness by Arundhati Roy. The world has been waiting for twenty years, and it was worth the wait. That woman can write! Heartbreaking, beautiful, horrifying, wonderful. I loved the last page (well, second to last paragraph, in particular. It made me happy).

Consider this book recommended.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3589 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 236, 237, 238, 239, 240