Tom Waits Fan Forums

A haven for the Tom Waits Fans of the world!
>
It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 599, 600, 601, 602, 603
 Post subject: Re: Random Things
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:15 pm 
Nighthawk

SarahV wrote:
Minefield wrote:
It's now official:

The restaurant boat where my husband is working is moving to Tromsø, which is 1170 kilometres (727 miles) towards the north. Far, far away, way up in the land of northern lights and whales and winter tourism.

Mr T has decided to go as well.

Wow, that's big news. What does that mean for you/the kids?

Yes, very big news.

What it means for us is that our household keeps shrinking, from four a couple of years ago, to two in a few months. Kid 1 moved out a year and a half ago, kid 2 is almost 18, so it's OK for Mr T to leave.

I believe this will be a good change all in all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:03 pm 
Nighthawk

Minefield wrote:
It's now official:

The restaurant boat where my husband is working is moving to Tromsø, which is 1170 kilometres (727 miles) towards the north. Far, far away, way up in the land of northern lights and whales and winter tourism.

Mr T has decided to go as well.

Not only is Mr T moving out, looks like kid 2 will move out to go to school outside of town after the summer. So the household is shrinking to ... just me.

And kid 2 will come back for the weekends.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:48 pm 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

:!:
I don’t know if I should be happy or sad for you, Ranja, so I choose to be happy for you [hug]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:56 pm 
Nighthawk

Tony Franciosa wrote:
:!:
I don’t know if I should be happy or sad for you, Ranja, so I choose to be happy for you [hug]

I'm not sure myself.

If I don't find a job I'm fucked economically. But I'm looking forward to some time alone. I feel like I really need it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:17 pm 
Papa Razzi
 WWW  Profile

That are some big changes Ranja. :!:

Guess up North it's much colder ... maybe move South?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:17 pm 
Nighthawk

I lived alone for the best part of a year and loved it....but its not for everyone, it might be tough for you being so used to having people around but I don't think you'll struggle too much knowing you, is moving away for work an option now at least?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:29 pm 
Nighthawk

MR SIEGAL wrote:
I lived alone for the best part of a year and loved it....but its not for everyone, it might be tough for you being so used to having people around but I don't think you'll struggle too much knowing you, is moving away for work an option now at least?

Yes, if I don't find anything here I'm going to have to move for work, but certainly not north! For the time being I want to hang on to this flat, because kid 2 will be coming here every weekend. A lot of things are afloat at the moment, so I don't really know. We'll see.

I lived alone for a year before I met my husband. I absolutely loved it, and have missed it a lot. I'm a very tidy person, so living with messy people is a real challenge. I live with an extremely messy man.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:27 am 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

Location: On a flatboat, heading to Natchez, with no shirt and no coat (aka NYC)
Living alone is the best. 8) Even if you're not that tidy :whistle:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:11 am 
Nighthawk

I've recently discovered Bandcamp, and more particularly the "best new jazz" recommendations. I have found some wonderful new music (ordered a few on cd), and made an interesting observation - when I listen I just play the recommendations in order, and note which ones I like without looking at details of who is playing. What I've found is that three times out of four (or more) the music that appeals to me is either written or performed by female musicians. Being a fan of older jazz there are very few of those around, except as singers, so I'm glad to see that the jazz scene hopefully isn't as male dominated as it used to be. But it also makes me wonder if there is any particular female way of playing. I don't mean that women have some sort of genetic disposition to make a certain kind of music. But perhaps there is a competitive tradition among male musicians leading to intensive soloing, something I don't particularly like. And maybe a less competitive disposition would lead to more focus on arrangements and melody? Or maybe there are just more female than male artists on Bandcamp? :D What do you think?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:45 am 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

Rashes on my arms again, I wonder what I am alergic to this time, perhaps the bread, or the honey, or lord preserve us, the coffee.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:10 am 
Nighthawk

Bandcamp rules!

This being said, I'm afraid that the world of jazz is mostly male.
Is it an urge to compete in endless soloing, I don't know, maybe, I applaude long solos as long as they tell a story rather than just being a show off trip to show how technically brilliant the musician is, the same goes for rock musicians btw, I hate those Steve Vai type note fuckers...

And apart from jazz singers, I know very few female jazz musicians, so few I can't even remember a name... But once I did see a concert by Cecile MClorin Salvant, a jazz singer indeed (and a very good one) but the musician who appealed to me most during that concert was the, female, pianist.
She made the concert what it was, soft and gentle when the song required it, going on a solo trip when the music allowed it... Her solos were outstanding, did they sound 'female' or 'male', no. Her solos sounded like jazz...

Maybe it's also about genres, I don't know.
When I listen to bluegrass, it won't be the male vocals that do it for me.
I was recently listening to some Alisson Krauss and Gillian Welch, no man can do what they do, these kind of vocals define this genre for me, it's almost a standard.
Throw in some Emmylou Harris and there you have it, a divine trinity...

Anway, it's just some quick thoughts...

In the mean time, enjoy Bancamp, but beware, it"s highly addictive...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:31 pm 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

Location: On a flatboat, heading to Natchez, with no shirt and no coat (aka NYC)
It's probably the same phenomenon as everywhere else... in a heavily male-dominated field, mediocre men will often succeed over very talented women. On average, women who succeed in jazz right now are going to be better than the men, just because they get weeded out and discouraged at every level in a way that men don't, and only the most talented and determined will end up being professional jazz musicians.

There is a long and gross history of gendering instruments based on things like "women don't look pretty when they play brass instruments" or "it's not ladylike for a woman to play with a cello propped between her knees." As a result you would see women playing the flute, the harp, the piano, the violin... but never the trumpet, the trombone, or the tuba. (And the reverse is true to a lesser extent - you don't see a lot of men playing the flute or harp.) A lot of traditional jazz instruments were considered "male" instruments - trumpet, saxophone, drums, etc. This is starting to change now as music teachers actively try to banish these stereotypes from a young age, but it's still a strong factor. And in some musical genres (including jazz) there is a lot of aggression and competitiveness that would be seen as "not feminine" or something that women just couldn't be good at. I could go on for pages with stories I've heard from female musicians...

Things are (happily) starting to change and many of my favorite male musicians seem to be making an effort to hire women for their bands instead of defaulting to their male friends all the time. Even if it feels like tokenism sometimes, I think it's making a positive difference. If nothing else it's giving younger female musicians something to aspire to and making them feel like it's not an impossible thing to do. It's true in contemporary classical music, too - e.g., the Kronos Quartet and Bang On A Can both have female members now, and they used to be all-male ensembles.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:34 pm 
Nighthawk

Thank you, Sarah.

I think it's also got to do with a lack of role models. If you've never seen a girl or woman do something, you're much less likely to consider it as an option for yourself.

The music organisation I was the manager for until about a year ago worked actively with this.

(I could go on for pages as well.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 599, 600, 601, 602, 603