Tom Waits Fan Forums

A haven for the Tom Waits Fans of the world!
>
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:19 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Covers By Album: 1973 - 2012
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:53 pm 
Nighthawk

Artists Who Love Tom Waits

Henry Rollins: "The two things you´ve got going for you," he said, "besides your youth and exuberance, are Tom Waits records and omelets." The records help mend broken hearts and the omelets for breakfast give you another chance to start anew.

Larry Taylor (2017): "It is his songwriting that makes it. He is a unique figure...very original. We played on David Letterman, The Tonight Show, Conan O'Brien, Jon Stewart's show. I've got to be honest and say I feel a real fortunate that I've been able to play with a person like this. It was a first class experience all the way."

Bob Dylan: "Tom Waits is one of my secret heroes."

Keith Richards (2015): "I love Tom dearly - he's a true American eccentric, and we need more of them, you know. Brilliant guy, brilliant musician."

Johnny Depp, Actor: Tom Waits, Rain Dogs: "The devil doesn´t have the best tunes. Tom Waits does. It´s almost impossible to single out a particular recording of his. Over the years, Waits´continued quality of output has never faltered. His high-water marks are countless. This is merely one among many. For moon lovers and junkyard dogs everywhere."

Nick Offerman, Actor: "Oh man, Tom is my number one. Oh, so much real life in his voice. If I had to pick one I´m going to go with MULE VARIATIONS."

Sam Beam, Iron & Wine (2007): He says Tom Waits´noirish masterpiece SWORDFISHTROMBONES was a massive influence. "It´s this big hotch potch of musical styles and instruments and even things that aren´t instruments. It´s a huge inspiration to me and it gives you the feeling that you can make anything work."

Seth Avett, The Avett Brothers (2013): about ALICE. "In my estimation, this is the height of unfiltered artistic comment. It is lovely. It is brutal. It is clever. It is unified. It is the perfect serving of regret and intoxicating love. ALICE reveals Waits´s earlier Albums as one-dimensional ventures by comparison; I believe Waits to be comparable, both in terms of development and command of his artistry, to Picasso. While the earlier work is strong beyond question, it cannot be categorized on the same level as later expressions by either master. This record does what the greatest records do: it transcends the man-made scenario of ´releasing´a record. It is closer in its delivery to a dark yet inviting room, wherein the listener is ultimately given an opportunity to have an unfettered conversation with his/her own heart."

Willis Earl Beal (2012): "I want to be like the black Tom Waits - I don´t want to make one kind of sound. [...] He´s my favorite artist. He´s not a pretty boy, and sometimes he makes sounds that are dissonant. He´s the ability to be on the piano and do something very pretty, but the reason why I initially gravitated to him was because that dissonant sound was all I could make. I´m still very close to only being able to make dissonance, so I relate to his more industrial, experimental things. It´s closer to my reality than a bunch of orchestral ballads. So it´s a combination of aesthetic and ability."

Steven Tyler, Aerosmith (2013): "To be recognised by ASCAP with the Founders Awards is a huge achievement . It´s humbling for Joe and me to be honoured for our music alongside the likes of Stevie Wonder. Any society that lets Tom Waits in, I´m there."

Leonard Cohen (2010): "Tom is the best songwriter in the world." // "Cohen said not much has changed on his playlist in recent years and rattled off a list of his favourite artists with long breathy pauses between the names: ´The same people - Tom Waits, Van Morrison, Bob Dylan, Judy Collins.´" (Rolling Stone) http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... e-20100618

Neil Young (2011): "But I will say that this next man is undiscribable and I´m here to describe him, or I´m going to try to describe what he does and why he´s here. [...] This man is great...he´s a sort of a singer-actor-magician-spirit-guide-changeling kind of performer."

Jack Antonoff (2014): "THE HEART OF SATURDAY NIGHT and CLOSING TIME. These are two of my favorites of all time, particularly The Heart Of Saturday Night. It´s this weird, lounge-y kind of album, and I don´t know why it resonates so much with me. He´s been through so many phases - no matter how his voice has changed or if it sounds like pirate music or jazz or whatever, at the core he´s one of the greatest songwriters of all time. Which is probably why so many other artists have had number one Tom Waits Songs and he hasn´t."

Jack Antonoff (2015): "With Waits, sometimes you need a guide to suggest where to start. If you hear the wrong thing first, you never want to hear him again. There's so much there. There's decades and decades of different styles. There's moments where he sounds like a jazz guy in a smoky bar, there's ones where he sounds like a pirate. There's one where he sounds like Keith Richards singing! It's all over the place. I heard FOREIGN AFFAIRS first - an ex-girlfriend used to play it all the time, which is a full on jazz record and I fell in love with it. Then I branched forward and back - his first records, CLOSING TIME and THE HEART OF SATURDAY NIGHT sounds a lot like acoustic Springsteen, almost like NEBRASKA vibes. Once you fell in love with him, you love everything - all the pirate shit on SMALL CHANGE and stuff like that. SWORDFISHTROMBONES is actually my favourite album by him, as well as MULE VARIATIONS: the song "Hold On" is my favourite."

Tim Buckley: "Tim was a Tom Waits fan," says Robert Duffey. "He´s got what Tom was."

Bruce Springsteen is a huge Tom Waits fan.

Stef Kamil Carlens (2011): "As a teenager I remember hearing 'Tom Traubert's Blues' for the first time and being totally overwhelmed. And that was only a glimpse of a gigantic musical world I was bound to discover. SWORDFISHTROMBONES, RAIN DOGS, FRANKS WILD YEARS & BIG TIME liberated me and imprisoned me at the same time: for a few years I could listen to anything else, I was in totally hypnotized. Tom Waits had a spell on me. But I also felt a freedom I didnt imagine possible before. The lack of a clear style reference, the unusual choice of instruments, the way he bended his voice in all kinds of directions and the exquisite songwriting; this man had his own way of doing things. But Waits also turned out to be more than just a songwriter: incredible scores for Jim Jarmush's Night On Earth and Robert Wilson's The Black Rider. Mixing songs with instrumental music! Waits promised me a life of adventures!!!"

Bettye LaVette (2012): "I haven´t see him live. That´s only because I wouldn´t even go see Jesus himself walk the water. But he came to see me. I was as astounded as you are! He came in the dressing room and kissed my hand and said ´that was amazing´, and his wife was with him, and they were wonderful. My band was standing there with their mouths hanging open."

Jackie Greene: "His music made me want to write songs. I´m a big Tom Waits fan."

Guy Garvey: Although he might be an acquired taste, Tom has spread his influence far and wide... a proud fan of his includes Elbow lead singer Guy Garvey, who persistently plays Waits tracks on his 6Music radio programme (despite the occasional protests of his listeners).

Elvis Costello (2000): http://www.elviscostello.info/articles/ ... 1101a.html

Steve Vai (2012): "Tom Waits is my favorite artist now. I completely resonate deeply with his music, his voice and his lyrics; I buy everything he ever does. He´s one of this guys who are totally at one with the creative element with no excuses or concern about what´s going on around him - totally uncompromising. A lot people think they´re uncompromising, but they´re not..." http://thequietus.com/articles/09530-st ... ums?page=7

Jolie Holland (2012): "Waits is a genius syncretist, like Dante. He hung the fucking moon and the stars. I love him."

Stephin Merritt, The Magnetic Fields (2010): "Who´s the greatest songwriter of the 21st century so far?" "Well, Stephen Sondheim hasn´t done a new play in the 21st century so it can´t be Stephen Sondheim...umm...me, I guess! Who´s the competition? [long pause] I guess Tom Waits."

Eleni Mandell, 2009: "Tom Waits is the biggest influence on me. But I finally had to stop trying to emulate my heros."

St. Vincent (2011): "RAIN DOGS is one of those albums that feels like bruises and cement and confetti and smells like diesel and whiskey and weeds. It conjures scenes and memories that make you believe in a past life: maybe as a sea sick rogue on the South Pacific, maybe as the girl with "nothing wrong...a hundred dollars couldn't fix," maybe a vigilante headed uptown with a pistol in his jeans and to settle a score. Tom Waits universe - fully formed and populated by Odyssian characters waiting in the shadows to prove friend or foe. We can see it, feel it, taste it, smell it - and to hear it is to be among the rain dogs. As emotionally as RAIN DOGS strikes me - I have cried on Brooklyn bound trains listening to 'Time' -- it wasn't until I started digging into the music, singing these songs, trying to find a means to embody the spirit of the work but also deliver it from my own perspective, that I came to realize just how powerful this music is. The words are enough - just to sing them is to ride a bucking bronco. Stand. Deliver. Let them sing through you. The prostitutes and the bookies and the sailors and the spirits. They are alive. To try and harness them would be futile. Let them come through you and they can speak and stand and walk and run and piss and cry all on their own."

Blake Sennett, Rilo Kiley: "Tom Waits is one of my favourite artists of all times."

Jewel (2012): "I really idolized John Prine, Tom Waits, that sort of (artists)."

Steven Callaghan (Irish Author): "I´ve certainly been inspired by authors as diverse as Don DeLillo, Cormac McCarthy, Natsuo Kirino, Fjodor Dostojewski and Gabriel Garcia Marquez. However, I´ve been inspired equally, if not more so, the filmmakers like Jim Jarmush, Abel Ferrara and Michael Mann, and musicians like Tom Waits, Kurt Wagner and Vic Chesnutt, in how I approach storytelling."

Yusuf Islam, formerly known as Cat Stevens (2014): "When I asked him about his favourite singers, Yusuf (responsible for such as Peace Train and The First Cut Is The Deepest) sang some Tom Waits. When he stopped I asked about his favourite films; he turned to Fawzia Ali and it got a bit like something from a Marx Brother´s film." (Barry Egan, Sunday Independent)

Beth Hart (2011): "I´m a huge Tom Waits fan, his lyrics, his whole thing is so genius. The first record I had of his was MULE VARIATIONS, and I always thought this songs was great - I love material that tweaks the ear a little bit, and can maybe make some people uncomfortable. My take it (Chocolate Jesus) is less of the chicken coop blues that he did, and more of a sassy, French café style. I played it for the guys and it just clicked."

Tricky (2013): "I signed by Island because of the artists and some of the stuff they´ve done - Bob Marley, Tom Waits. Who could I sign to now? Am I going to sign to a label because they´ve got Lady Gaga? I don´t want to be part of that bollocks music industry. I´m trying to bring that Island kind of thing back. Obviously False Idols is never going to be an Island Records, but it´s my way of trying to keep that part of music of the music industry going."

Warren Haynes: "All my favourites white singer are white singers that sounded like black singers, like Paul Rodgers and Greg Allman and Lowell Georges, I love Van Morrison, I love Steve Winwood. Son House is my favourite. But as a songwriter you know it´s different. I love Roger Waters, Neil Young, Tom Waits, Elvis Costello, Rickie Lee Jones, Joni Mitchell, because I think you have to respect the people who are the best at what they do."

Shane McGowan, The Pogues (1998): "Tom Waits is a really big influence. Nick Cave. The Stones, Beatles."

John Malkovich is a big fan of Tom Waits and rap artist Dr. Dre.

KT Tunstall (2006): "I think Tom Waits is really great. He´s just the King of independents. He´s just an absolute bastion of purist music. I have to say I´m not as militant as Tom Waits. I also don´t write stuff as experimental as Tom Waits. But I´m just so delighted that we live in a world where he is a widely, very celebrated man. In a world where this industry is becoming more and more controlled and less and less creative, it seems [nice] that he´s still increasingly popular. One of the first records I bought for myself was Bone Machine. I bought Bone Machine and I also bought Blue by Joni Mitchell at the same time. I´m trying to create the bastard offspring of these two albums. I always want to try to get this lo-fi masculinity to the music if I can. Because I love that sound."

Patrick Stump, Fall Out Boy (2011): "Tom Waits is a huge influence on me lyrically. A lot of the ways that I choose to express myself lyrically come from people like Tom Waits or Randy Newman or Warren Zevon. I think part of my quirkiness is I don´t really write soul music lyrics."

The Killers: Tom Waits, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty and Bob Seger all figure heavily in The Killers´ story. As Brandon Flowers once said these are people who wrote songs that showed you, "no matter how bad it got, there was nothing that a cigarette and a Saturday night couldn´t fix..."

Frank Black, Pixies (2012): "I think that he´s a good songwriter whatever record you talk about of his. It´s not because there´s some fucking guy playing a saw. It´s like the Bruce Springsteen thing. It´s stripped down, universal, folk bluesy stuff. He´s trying to say: ´You guys think you can change things overnight. Forget the new thing. What about Django Reinhart? Son House?´" http://thequietus.com/articles/08613-fr ... ies?page=7

Grace Askew (2014): "Tom Waits has always been one of my top inspirations; I just can´t get enough of his oddity and his quirky genius. Weird, imperfect, and dark has always interested me more."

Norah Jones: cites Tom Waits and his groundbreaking record MULE VARIATIONS as such a favorite that she looked at the liner notes to find it´s engineer, Jacquire King, who she then used to produced her albums.

Charlie Fink, Noah and the Whale (2011): "Yes, Lou Reed was a big influence, Berlin and New Sensations in particular. He has a novelist´s eye for detail and sets it to the most beautiful melodies. Tom Waits was also very influential on the record (´Last Night On Earth´), the album Bone Machine and the song Downtown Train."

Chris Cornell (1996): "Yeah, he´s a big influence of me, but you wouldn´t be able to tell. But there are other people who are influences too but you wouldn´t be able to tell."

Timothy Showalter, Strand of Oaks (2012): "My biggest influence had to be my public libraries music collection. I would ride my bike and just pick out random tapes they had. I remember getting Jeff Buckley´s GRACE and Tom Waits´RAIN DOGS on the same trip. For a seventh grader that changed my life."

Holly Williams (2013): "Tom Waits songs read like little movies in my head, and I hope listeners always walk away feeling I´ve taken them somewhere."

Joe Henry (2014): Q:"Who has influenced you? A colleague like Paul Simon, whom you have recently celebrated big at Carnegie Hall. Or is it more of a Tom Waits?" JH: "Paul Simon less than Tom. Whom I love very much. It was early on a very important figure, of which I have learned a lot for me - without wanting to imitate. How did he always deducted from the mainstream! His songs are not pop, it´s production is very extravagant, weathered, rusty. And really only Tom Waits can really sing Tom Waits songs. He was also a great help, because without him I would then probably not ended up in the record label Anti. He has those as well persuaded. Very flattering for me."

Sallie Ford, Sallie Ford & The Sound Outside (2012): "Tom Waits was a big inspiration for me" Sallie adds, recalling how she scrutinized every aspect of Waits´2002 album ALICE, and soon his abilities as a storyteller rivaled the Fab Four in her estimation."

James Hetfield, Metallica (1996): "What intrigues me about Tom Waits is that from the song´s first line you are there. You are with him wherever it may be - some dingy dock somewhere. How the fuck does he do that? He´s just so full of character. We´re trying to incoroporate some of that into the songs, in the Metallica way, taking people somewhere and getting them into a mood. We always tried to do that, but this time I´ve helped it a lot more by the lyrics."

Alice Cooper: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mky7g8HLq9w

Eddie Vedder (2003): "I like the fact that you can´t really categorize this music. I want to come up with a Tom Waits-ish line about Tom Waits: ´Tom Waits for no man.´ [Laughs] I think he once said that he prides himself on making good background music. But if you try todissect it or even play along with the stuff, you realize it´s got all these chord changes that are never played straight. They soundlike they´re morphing, and the result sounds like an old car that needs a tune-up. You end up with all these sounds that createrhythm, and it´s the perfect bed for a voice."

Thom Yorke: has cited Neil Young, Elvis Costello, The Beatles, Talking Heads and Tom Waits as influences, but it seems to us that his inspiration mainly comes from his own head: his paranoia, anxiety, guilt, fascination and passion all mix together to form his own unique brand of musical genius.

Matthew Bellamy, Muse: claimed Tom Waits was one of his favorite singers: "He´s completely opposite to what we sing, but I like him because he puts so much feeling in his music, takes on characters in what he´s singing." In an Interview with Uncut Magazine when asked what song Bellamy wished he had written he replied: "Blue Valentines by Tom Waits. I would like to have the guitar part or have played anything weird on Mule Variations. I love Tom Waits because he´s an artist who makes me not afraid to get old, and that´s rare. I think it´s a rare kind of thing to have that level of wisdom. And his lyrics are just astounding; everything in life is inside his lyrics."

Mark Oliver Everett, Eels: "I hope to grow old gracefully like Tom Waits... he doesn´t have the Mick Jagger problem where it starts to look a little silly after a certain age."

Grant Lee-Phillips (2006): "Tom Waits, come to think of it I´ve never seen him live other than a few televised performances and films, but I love his records and his records I do know quite well. [...] Yeah, I mean, Waits is a big influence. I hear the influence of Tom Waits in so much alternative music that you wouldn´t even think of. Eels, for instance, you know? Largely influenced by Waits. I think probably Aimee Mann´s albums are influenced, in terms of expression. Patrick Warren, I would guess he must be influenced in some way. The cool thing about Waits is that he really sort of just took a hard left turn. Like a bat-turn. Just went into a different direction. I think probably that excited me more than anything when I first heard Rain Dogs. It´s one of the things I still think about. How do we want to deal with these drums? Do you want a good drum sound or do you want to have some fun with it? Let´s really think about it and a lot of that can be accredited to a record like Rain Dogs."

Patterson Hood, Drive-by Truckers (2008): reveals his top 10 albums. 1. Tom Waits - "Swordfishtrombones: "This pick could as easily have been RAIN DOGS or BLUE VALENTINE , but alas, it had to be this one. The album is still growing on me, even after 25 years."

Jamie Cullum (2009): "I have been interested in Tom Waits since I was ten years old. I have seen videos, heard concerts, and six months ago I went to Paris to see him live. He´s obviously an older performer, but there´s nothing of the older performer about him."

Todd A, Firewater (2012): "Well, I mean, originally, the fact that he draws from a lot different traditions and different flavors and different styles. Just to paraphrase something he said, it´s like you have to find the right suit for the song. Like he´ll write a song, and he´ll try it as a mambo or as a polka or whatever. That´s something I learned: Just because you´ve got the right chords and the right words doesn´t mean you have the right approach.
So that´s inspirational to me. I think, these days, I think I´m kind of less into his theatricality. He´s still a big influence on me, but the stuff that I do is a little less theatrical. I try to be a bit more honest and not so L.A. not so Vegas or something. Not to diss Tom Waits because he´s amazing."

Cold Specks (2012): "He´s got the best voice, and it´s backed by really creative songwriting."

Cory Branan (2012): "Lyrically, I´m definitely indebted to Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, John Prine, Kris Kristofferson and Townes Van Zandt. I fall way short of course, but a boy can dream."

Garrett Johnson, Brazilian Money (2012): "I´ve also loved Tom Waits forever, mostly his weird early 2000´s stuff and also late 80s stuff. REAL GONE is one of my favourite albums ever. I love how crazy it sounds and still maintains pop sensibilities."

Violent Femmes: The Femmes asked Tom to produce one of their albums. Tom said, "No."

Gogol Bordello (2008): "My favorite Tom Waits stuff actually is the difficult stuff. It´s the BLACK RIDER. It´s the best album. I also love FRANKS WILD YEARS, for sure. But I think that BLACK RIDER is my favorite because it´s truly, truly fucking surreal."

Martyn Jaques, The Tiger Lillies (2011): "When I was twenty my next door neighbor, a peep show girl in Soho, gave me two albums. One was the original German cast, including Lotte Lenya, singing Brecht and Weill's THREEPENNY OPERA. The other was SMALL CHANGE by Tom Waits. I think those two records influenced my own musical development profoundly."

Lars Saabye Christensen, Famous Norwegian Novelist & Musician: "I´m a great admirer of Tom Waits. He is a marvelous poet and storyteller that has continued to develop his music and lyrics for forty years without making a fool of himself."

Richard Swift (2008): "Having a family is amazing, and really good for me because I do tend to be self-destructive and they keep me in check. Tom Waits is a family man, and he´s making phenomenal records."

Justin Pierre´, Motion City Soundtrack (2013): "I really love Tom Waits. I think it´s mostly lyrics because obviously we don´t sound anything like him, but I love how he tells stories."

Ruarri Joseph (2013): "An album that you can´t live without?" "Alice by Tom Waits. I´ve listened to it a million times and still it manages to blow me away. I find something new in it every time, it´s just endless and so, so beautiful."

Erika Stucky: "Ich kenn kaum einen Musiker, der nicht sagt, Tom Waits hat mich beeinflußt: vom Groove, von der Poesie, von der Auswahl der Musiker. Ich habe aber nie versucht, wie Tom Waits zu singen. Ich habe auch keinen einzigen Tom Waits-Song in meinem Programm. Trotzdem ist er wie ein Taufpate für mich."

Anna Calvi (2014): "When making One Breath, I did listen to Rain Dogs. I love the way that Tom Waits uses really unusual instrumentation , like tuned marimbas, to sort of suggest chords instead of just the obvious guitar strumming changes. Tom can make the guitar sound wild - I really like that".

Joshua Black Wilkins (2014). "I will always think that Tom Waits doesn´t get enough credit. No one can write a song like he does, or sing one! He could make an entire album with just vocals and a jaw harp and it would be more effective than any band. The finest love song I have ever heard is ´Picture In A Frame´ by Tom Waits. I cover it at almost every show - it´s short, and sweet."

Chris Lowell, Actor (2014): "I can get down with Tom Waits, especially NIGHTHAWKS AT THE DINER. And like Johnny Cash LIVE AT FOLSOM PRISON. They play these songs in a whole new ways with live audiences, and screaming in the background just adds to the music. If you want to listen to Tom Waits´Warm Beer And Cold Women´, you have to listen it with this one hysterically freaking out fan who won´t stop hootin´and hollerin´throughout the whole thing, which I think is pretty badass. It´s super experiential, like as an audience member like you are going to be an instrument. I love that. That´s why I love Smalls."

Hozier (2014): "When I discovered Tom Waits that changed the game, I think there's a difference between making music and writing songs, and to me the words are the core, that´s where the character and the story is."

Foy Vance (2016): "MULE VARIATIONS is not only an exquisitely-written record but a wonderful sounding record. "

Lauren Bjelde, Royal Jelly Jive (2016): "Tom is one of these eccentric people that lives nearby and who has always done things his way. You never know what musical alley he might wander down, and in the song (and our minds) we have fictionalized his character to be larger than life. Tom recorded for a decade at Prairie Sun. Some of his best albums like MULE VARIATIONS were recorded at the studio. So, when we had the chance to record there and use the iconic ´Waits Room´, we jumped at the opputunity and wanted to offer a nod to his legacy."

Barry Hyde, Futureheads (2012): "He's one of the worlds greatest living men. As an artist, he's untouchable because he's done it all: he's played pretty much very genre, had a great acting career, he looks incredibly cool, and he's very funny. What a guy."

Keith Carradine (2016): "Yeah, I´m a big Tom Waits fan. Tom Waits and I worked together: We did a movie called Cold Feet. But Tom and I had been friends since back in the day, and our lives have criss-crossed a bit. My daughter Martha, when she was about 4 years old - Tom and Shelley, , Martha´s mother, were in a relationship for a couple of years. So Tom and I, our paths have crossed in interesting ways over the years. But I just think he´s a genius. I think he´s maybe one of the top 10 songwriters of all time, and I was a huge fan of Tom´s before we even met."

Finn Andrews, The Veils (2016): "There´s only a few people I´ve been in awe of my whole adult life; Tom Waits is one, and David Lynch is another."

Bob Seger (2011): "I´ve covered so much Tom Waits. He´s one of my favorite writers, I have a real affinity to how he writes."

Last edited by George on Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:21 am, edited 43 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:54 pm 
Nighthawk

Critics/Artists Who Hate Tom Waits

Diederich Diederichsen (German Pop-Philosoph): "Die Konstellation Buena Vista Social Club, Tom Waits und Diana Krall - die ist das Problem. Die erstickende Ausweglosigkeit, die bereits den Raum erfüllt, in dem Moment, in dem man diese drei Namen hintereinander sagt, vielleicht noch Elvis Costello dazu. Das heißt aber nicht, dass jeder einzelne von denen ganz schrecklich ist, das kann man den armen alten Männern von Buena Vista Social Club ja nicht vorwerfen. Es ist der Satz, den ich aus diesen Elementen bilde. An dem Satz ist jetzt so schrecklich, dass er mir so schnell einfällt, wenn ich Geschmacksbürgertum höre. Wie alle Bedeutungen, die besonders eng sind, ist das niederschmetternd."

Hiram Lee: "There are noteworthy and moving songs to be found during every period in Waits´ career, although rarely fully satisfying albums. He tends to be at his best when the beatnik and junkyard dog personalities are reined in and the singer more or less plays it straight. Too often, however, his music has the character of ´pet sounds´ worked over in the artist´s corner, hidden away from the world." http://91.121.164.162/articles/2011/dec ... -d07.shtml

Miles Mathis: "Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits are often mentioned in the same sentence . Some people think of them as similar in that they are supposed to be great songwriters with not-so-great voices. But in my opinion, there is a very big difference. One, Cohen is a much better songwriter. He often writes real poetry into his songs, and Waits never does. Waits has written one very good song - that is nonetheless not really to the level of poetry [´I Hope That I Don´t Fall In Love With You´], and a handful of good songs [´Dowtown Train´, ´Hold On´etc.]. ´Green Grass´is the best poem Waits ever wrote, I would say, but he didn´t make..." http://mileswmathis.com/waits.html

Johnny Dowd (2001): "I´ve been compared to Tom Waits a lot, which I don´t really see. Tom Waits to me is a whole concept. He is an image, he´s an actor. I don´t really have that kind of thing together, and I wouldn´t even want to. It´s just alien to me to be that organized."

David Byrne (2012): He points out that some of Tom Waits´songs "would sound pretty corny, sung ´straight´, without his trademark growly vocals. The sound of his voice is what makes them work.´"

Jens Balzer, Rolling Stone (Ger): "Tom Waits ist der Peter Alexander von heute: die theatralische Überformung der vorgespiegelten Kaputtheit dient zu nichts anderem mehr als dazu, das Publikum mit der Karikatur eines Bluessängers zu unterhalten. Einer, von dem man sich aus sicherer Entfernung begruseln lassen kann wie begeistern. Einer, der von Schuld und Sühne singt und in seinem völlig übertrieben Gefuchtel zugleich demonstriert, dass man das alles nicht so ernst nehmen soll. Eine lächerliche und traurige Figur. Ein Clown für alle diejenigen, die tatsächlich glauben, dass man für 110 Euro in einem Theater eine authentische Rock´n´Roll-Show erhält." http://www.berliner-zeitung.de/archiv/t ... 31990.html

John Peel: "As far as John Peel was concerned, however, Waits was more celebrated by not being played on his programmes, forming part of a triumvirate of artists (including Patti Smith and Bruce Springsteen) for whom Peel reserved especial venom, calling him ´awful´ and ´artfully down-and-out´.
This may have had something to do with Waits´ inspirations: he said: ´I wasn´t thrilled by BLUE CHEER so I found an alternative, even if it was Bing Crosby.´ Consequently, Waits recorded many songs in a kind of inebriated semi-cabaret style. There is no record of Peel ever having played his material: in fact, when the opportunity arose to do so, Peel played all the tracks from an NME free EP save Waits´tune, commenting, ´I think he´s a terrible old bore myself´ and stating that HALF MAN HALF BISCUIT were ´worth a truckload of Tom Waits and Bruce Springsteens.´" (wikipedia)

T.Bo alias Tobias Gawer: "T.Bo singt herben Blues. Manche fühlen sich an Tom Waits erinnert - zum Mißfallen T.Bos. ´Mit dem habe ich gar nichts zu tun´, sagt er. Darauf habe ihn schon Ray Austin angesprochen, als er vor ihm in der Wodanhalle in Freiburg auftrat. ´Eigentlich war ich stolz darauf, dort auf der Bühne zu stehen. Aber wenn einer so etwas Unqualifiziertes sagt, geht die Achtung verloren.´"

Frank Turner (2013): "Es gibt wirklich viele Bands und Künstler, die mir am Arsch vorbeigehen, auch wenn sie für viele zu den Speerspitzen der Rockmusik zählen - Sonic Youth, Tom Waits, Beck. Ich respektiere diese Leute, aber ich kann nichts mit ihrer Musik anfangen."

Last edited by George on Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:56 pm 
Nighthawk

Favorite Tom Waits Albums Of Well Known Musicians (Work In Progress)

Norah Jones

Mule Variations (1999)

Steve Vai

Mule Variations (1999)

Seb Rochford (Polar Bear's)

Real Gone (2004)

KT Tunstall

Bone Machine (1992)

Katzenjammer

The Black Rider (1993)

Matthew Bellamy (Muse)

Mule Variations (1999)

Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)

Nighthawks At The Diner (1975)

Sallie Ford (Sallie Ford & The Outsider)

Alice (2002)

Sam Beam (Iron & Wine)

Swordfishtrombones (1983)

Elvis Costello

Swordfishtrombones (1983), Rain Dogs (1985), Franks Wild Years (1987), Bone Machine (1992), Mule Variations (1999), Alice (2002), Real Gone (2004)

Beth Hart

Mule Variations (1999)

Patterson Hood (Drive By Truckers)

Swordfishtrombones (1983), Rain Dogs (1985), Blue Valentine (1978)

Seth Avett

Alice (2002)

Charlie Fink (Noah And The Whale)

Bone Machine (1992)

Ron Sexsmith

Alice (2002)

Josh Homme (Queens Of The Stone Age)

Bone Machine (1992)

Konstantin Gropper (Get Well Soon)

Alice (2002)

Gogol Bordello

The Black Rider (1993), Franks Wild Years (1987)

Lars Saabye Christensen

Swordfishtrombones

Frank Black (Pixies)

Franks Wild Years (1987)

Howe Gelb

Joe Innes (Joe Innes & The Cavalcade)

Small Change (1976)

Eric Bachmann (Archers Of Loaf)

Felix Gebhard (Home Of The Lame)

Rain Dogs (1985)

Arnt O. Andersen (Cinnamoon)

Bone Machine (1992)

Mike Tramp

Closing Time (1973)

Johan Edlund (Tiamat)

Mule Variations (1999)

Willis Earl Beal

Franks Wild Years (1987), Swordfishtrombones (1985), The Black Rider (1993)

Adam Butler (alias Vert)

Franks Wild Years (1987)

Tom Wilcox (The Chavs)

Craig Jackson (Wizard´s Beard)

Small Change (1976)

Atsushi Sakurai (Buck-Tick)

Rain Dogs (1985)

Southside Johnny

The Heart Of Saturday Night (1974)

Motorpsycho

Rain Dogs (1985)

Johannes Marx

Bone Machine (1992)

Garrett Johnson (Brazilian Money)

Real Gone (2004)

Mia Dyson

Mule Variations (1999)

Timothy Showalter (Strand of Oaks)

Rain Dogs (1985)

Franz Nicolay (The Hold Steady)

Rain Dogs (1985)

Alex Miksch

Mule Variations (1999)

Billie Joe Amstrong (Green Day)

Rain Dogs (1985)

Fred Andersson (The Durango Rio)

Rain Dogs (1985)

Marisa Quigley

Blue Valentine, The Heart Of Saturday Night, Nighthawks At The Diner, Mule Variations, Real Gone

Stephin Merritt (The Magnetic Fields)

Bone Machine (1992)

Penelope Houston

W. Salas-Humara (Silos)

Rain Dogs (1985)

J.J. Liefers

Rain Dogs (1985)

T. Kasher

Early Years Vol. 1&2 (1991)

O. Salo (The Ark)

Holly Williams

Closing Time (1973)

Mark Oliver Everett

Bone Machine (1992)

Ruarri Joseph

Alice (2002)

Lisa Hannigan

Closing Time (1973)

Tom Odell

Closing Time (1973)

Alfie Granger-Howell (Dusky)

Small Change (1976)

Steve Forrest (Placebo)

Rain Dogs (1985)

Rayna Gellert (Uncle Earl)

Mule Variations (1999)

Luke Doucet

Al Lewis

Closing Time (1973)

Caro Josée

One From The Heart (1982)

Roy de Roy

Rain Dogs (1985)

Grey DeLisle

Mule Variations (1999)

Anna Calvi

Rain Dogs (1985)

Parker Millsap

Mule Variations (1999)

Jeff Lang

Bone Machine (1992)

Chris Leckey (PigsAsPeople)

Bone Machine (1992)

Jack Antonoff (Fun)

The Heart Of Saturday Night (1974), Closing Time (1973), Swordfishtrombones (1983), Mule Variations (1999)

Lauris Vidal

Bone Machine (1992)

Andrew James O´Brien

Mule Variations (1999)

John Southworth

Rain Dogs (1985)

Neil Fallon (Clutch)

Bone Machine (1992)

Martyn Jaques (The Tiger Lillies)

Small Change (1976)

Stefan Kamil Carlens

Swordfishtrombones (1983), Rain Dogs (1985), Franks Wild Years (1987), Big Time (1988)

Ben Carrigan

Closing Time (1973)

Della Mae

Mule Variations (1999)

Martin Sexton

Mule Variations (1999)

Bob Schneider

Rain Dogs (1985)

Troels Abrahamsen

Rain Dogs (1985)

The Peep Temple

Rain Dogs (1985)

Foy Vance

Mule Variations (1999)

Evan Schreiber

Small Change (1976)

Emily Loizeau

Franks Wild Years (1987)

Gomez

Rain Dogs (1985)

Tift Merritt

Bone Machine (1992)

Imelda May

Ciaran Lavery

Orphans (2006)

Courtney Marie Andrews

Orphans (2006)

Jenie Thai

Mule Variations (1999)

The Melvins

Blue Valentine (1978)

Cory Fay

Alice (2002)

Alexander Amstrong

Closing Time(1973), Rain Dogs (1985)

Last edited by George on Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 60 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:58 pm 
Nighthawk

From Closing Time To Big Time And Beyond - Your Guide to Tom Waits´Albums

Uncut Magazine

Closing Time * * *
The Heart Of Saturday Night * * * *
Nighthawks At The Diner * * * *
Small Change * * * * *
Foreign Affairs * * * *
Blue Valentine * * * *
Heartattack And Vine * * * * *
One From The Heart * * * *
Swordfishtrombones * * * * *
Rain Dogs * * * * *
Franks Wild Years * * * *
Big Time * * *
Night On Earth * *
Bone Machine * * * *
The Black Rider * * * *
Mule Variations * * * * *
Alice * * *
Blood Money * * * *
Real Gone * * * * *
Orphans * * * * *
Glitter And Doom * * * *
Bad As Me * * * * * (* * * *)

Mojo Magazine

Closing Time * * * *
Small Change * * * * *
Foreign Affairs * * *
Blue Valentine * * * * *
Heartattack And Vine * * *
Rain Dogs * * * * *
Franks Wild Years * * *
Big Time * * *
Night On Earth * * *
Bone Machine * * * * *
The Black Rider * * *
Alice * * * *
Blood Money * * *
Real Gone * * *
Orphans * * * *
Glitter And Doom * * * *
Bad As Me * * * *

Rolling Stone (US)

Closing Time * * * * 1/2
Nighthawks At The Diner * * *
Small Change * * * *
Foreign Affairs * * * 1/2
Blue Valentine * * *
Swordfishtrombones * * * * 1/2
Rain Dogs * * * * *
Franks Wild Years * * *
Big Time * * *
Bone Machine * * * *
The Black Rider * *
Mule Variations * * * * 1/2
Alice * * * *
Blood Money * * * *
Real Gone * * * *
Orphans * * * *
Glitter And Doom * * * 1/2
Bad As Me * * * *

Rolling Stone (Ger)

Closing Time * * * *
The Heart Of Saturday Night * * * 1/2
Small Change * * * *
Blue Valentine * * * 1/2
Heartattack And Vine * * * 1/2
One From The Heart * * *
Rain Dogs * * * * *
Franks Wild Years * * * * 1/2
Bone Machine * * * * 1/2
The Black Rider * * *
Alice/Blood Money * * * * *
Real Gone * * *
Orphans * * * * 1/2
Glitter And Doom * * *
Bad As Me * * * *

Sputnikmusic

Closing Time * * * * 1/2
Small Change * * * * 1/2
Blue Valentine * * * * 1/2
Heartattack And Vine * * * * *
Swordfishtrombones * * * *
Rain Dogs * * * * *
Franks Wild Years * * * 1/2
Bone Machine * * * * 1/2
Alice * * * 1/2
Blood Money * * * *
Real Gone * * * * 1/2
Orphans * * * * 1/2
Bad As Me * * * *

Allmusic

Closing Time * * * * 1/2
The Heart Of Saturday Night * * * 1/2
Nighthawks At The Diner * * * 1/2
Small Change * * * * 1/2
Foreign Affairs * * *
Blue Valentine * * * 1/2
One From The Heart * * * * 1/2
Rain Dogs * * * * *
Franks Wild Years * * * *
Big Time * * *
Night On Earth * *
Bone Machine * * * * 1/2
The Black Rider * *
Mule Variations * * * *
Alice * * * *
Blood Money * * * *
Real Gone * * * 1/2
Orphans * * * * 1/2
Bad As Me * * * *

Ondarock (It)

Closing Time 6,5
The Heart Of Saturday Night 6,5
Nighthawks At The Diner 6
Small Change 7
Foreign Affairs 6,5
Blue Valentine 7,5
Heartattack And Vine 7
Swordfishtrombones 9
Rain Dogs 8,5
Franks Wild Years 7,5
Big Time 5
Night On Earth 5
Bone Machine 7
The Black Rider 7
Mule Variations 7
Alice 7
Blood Money 6
Orphans 7
Bad As Me 7

Starpulse

Closing Time * * * * 1/2
Small Change * * * * 1/2
Blue Valentine * * * *
Heartattack And Vine * * * 1/2
One From The Heart * * * * 1/2
Rain Dogs * * * * 1/2
Franks Wild Years * * * * 1/2
Big Time * * * 1/2
Night On Earth * * 1/2
Bone Machine * * * * 1/2
The Black Rider * * 1/2
Alice * * * * 1/2
Blood Money * * * * 1/2
Real Gone * * * *
Orphans * * * * 1/2
Bad As Me * * * * 1/2

Everybody´s Dummy

Closing Time * * * *
The Heart Of Saturday Night * * 1/2
Small Change * * * *
Foreign Affairs * * *
Blue Valentine * * 1/2
One From The Heart * * *
Rain Dogs * * * * *
Franks Wild Years * *
Big Time * * *
Night On Earth * *
Bone Machine * * *
The Black Rider * * *
The Early Years Vol. 1 * * *
The Early Years Vol. 2 * * 1/2

Groove (Norway)

Closing Time 5/7
The Heart Of Saturday Night 5/7
Nighthawks At The Diner 6/7
Small Change 4/7
Foreign Affairs 4/7
Blue Valentine 6/7
Heartattack And Vine 6/7
One From The Heart 4/7 (6/7)
Swordfishtrombones 7/7
Rain Dogs 7/7
Franks Wild Years 7/7
Big Time 6/7
Night On Earth 3/7
Alice 6/7
Blood Money 6/7
Real Gone 4/7
Orphans 6/7

Robert Christgau

Closing Time B+
The Heart Of Saturday Night C+
Nighthawks At The Diner B
Small Change B-
Foreign Affairs B
Blue Valentine B
Heartattack And Vine B
Swordfishtrombones A-
Rain Dogs B+
Franks Wild Years B
Big Time B
Bone Machine * *
The Black Rider * * *
Mule Variations A-
Alice *
Blood Money A-
Real Gone * * *
Orphans A
Glitter And Doom *
Bad As Me A-

Last edited by George on Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:59 pm 
Nighthawk

Critic´s Choice Best Tom Waits Albums

(at the moment)

Top 5

1. Rain Dogs
2. Swordfishtrombones
3. Bone Machine
4. Mule Variations
5. Small Change

Musician´s Choice Best Tom Waits Albums

(at the moment)

Top 5

1. Rain Dogs (21x)
2. Mule Variations (18x)
3. Bone Machine (13x)
4. Swordfishtrombones (12x)
5. Closing Time (8x)
6. Franks Wild Years (7x)
6. Alice (7x)

Last edited by George on Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:28 pm, edited 38 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:04 pm 
Nighthawk

Essays On Tom Waits

Tom Waits´many, many moons (by Daniel Silliman)

http://www.thethepoetry.com/2011/03/tom ... any-moons/

The Flying Slaves: An Essay On Tom Waits (by Stephan Wackwitz)

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/4 ... 1102238553

Dylan, Springsteen and Waits. Three of the Essentials. An Essay (by Kevin Norton)

http://www.nodepression.com/profiles/bl ... e=activity

In The Neighborhood: Tom Waits (by Alex Harvey)

http://lareviewofbooks.org/article.php?id=1275

Hydrogen Jukebox: Rain Dogs (by Darran Anderson)

http://dogmatika.com/dm/features_more.p ... 1_0_5_31_M

The Authentic Sound Of America in Tom Waits´Growl (Simon Schama)

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2006/dec/09/popandrock

Tom Waits Eluding the Authorities (Tim Scherman)

http://www.popmatters.com/feature/tom-w ... thorities/

Last edited by George on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:06 pm 
Nighthawk

Influences And Favourites

A summary of stuff which Tom said was of influence or even favourite.

Albums And Songs

° "Auld Lang Syne"
° "Ball N´Chain" (Big Mama Thornton)
° "Bonnie Bonnie Bedlam"
° "Brother Can You Spare A Dime?"
° "Camera Obscura" (Nico)
° "Circling Pigeons Waltz" (Various artists - The Texas Czech Bohemian and Moravian bands)
° "Crying Time" (Ray Charles)
° "Cubanos Postizos" (Marc Ribot)
° "Dirty Old Town" (The Pogues)
° "Drown In My On Tears"(Ray Charles)
° "Dorothy Mae" (Howlin´Wolf)
° "Exile On Main Street" (The Rolling Stones)
° "Frankie and Johnny"
° "Goldberg Variations" (Glenn Gould/ Johann Sebastian Bach)
° "Goodnight Loving Trail"
° "Hit The Road, Jack" (Ray Charles)
° "Honey in the Rock" (Blind Mamie Forehand)
° "Houndog" (Houndog)
° "I Can´t stop loving you" (Ray Charles)
° "I Just Want To See His Face" (The Rolling Stones)
° "I Should Care" (Thelonious Monk)
° "I Will Leave You Softly" (Monro)
° "Ich bin von Kopf bis Fuß auf Lebe eingestellt" (William S. Burroughs)
° "Im Your Man" ( Leonard Cohen album)
° "In The Hall of the Mountain King" (Peer Gynt, opera)
° "In The Wee Small Hours" (Frank Sinatra)
° "Is That All There Is?" (Peggy Lee)
° "I Was Young When I Left Home" (Bob Dylan)
° "Jacob´s Ladder"
° "Jesus Blood Never Failed Me Yet" (Gavin Bryars)
° "John Henry"
° "John The Revelator"
° "Just Walkin´In The Rain" (Prisonaires)
° "Kerouac/Allen"
° "Kicks" (Paul Revere and The Raiders)
° "Leadbelly´s last sessions" (Leadbelly)
° "Let´s Go, Let´s Go,Lt´s Go" (Hank Ballard)
° "Let´s Go Get Stoned" (Ray Charles)
° "Lonesome Death of Hattie Carol" (Bob Dylan)
° "Lost In The Stars (songs of Kurt Weill)"
° "Louie Louie"
° "Lounge Lizards" (Lounge Lizards)
° "Mahagonny" (Brecht/Weill)
° "Martini´s Bikini´s" (Sam Philips)
° "Molly Malone"
° "Nature Boy" (Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli)
° "Nessun Doma - Turandot" (Giacomo Puccini)
° "No More Auction Block" (Paul Robeson)
° "Ode To Billie Joe"
° "One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)" (Frank Sinatra)
° "Pretty Boy Floyd"
° "Pretty Polly"
° "Prison Songs: Don´t you hear poor mother calling?"
° "Purple Onion" (Les Claypool)
° "Pygmy Field Records"
° "Raglan Road"
° "Ramblin´Man" (Hank Williams)
° "Rant in E-minor" (Bill Hicks)
° "Rum, Sodomy & the Lash" (The Pogues)
° "Sixteen Tons" (Tennessie Ernie Ford)
° "Solo Monk" (Thelonious Monk)
° "Spanish is the Loving Tongue"
° "Springhill Mining Disaster"
° "Stagger Lee"
° "Startime" (James Brown)
° "Strange Fruit" (Billie Holiday)
° "Streets of Laredo"
° "Sylvie" (Harry Belafonte)
° "Sympathy for the Devil" (The Rolling Stones)
° "Teen Angel"
° "The Basement Tapes" (Bob Dylan)
° "The Delivery Man" (Elvis Costello)
° "The Harry Partch Collection"
° "The Old Main Drag" (The Pogues)
° "The Roughest Diamond in the Mine" (Captain Beefheart)
° "The Sinking of the Titanic" (Gavin Bryars)
° "The Specialty Sessions" (Little Richards)
° "The Threepenny Opera" (Brecht/Weill)
° "The Yellow Shark (Frank Zappa)
° "They Call the Wind Mariah"
° "Three Ravens"
° "Time" (Ray Charles)
° "Trout Mask Replica" (Captain Beefheart)
° "Volga Boatman"
° "What´d I Say" (Ray Charles)
° "When You Wish Upon A Star"(Cliff Edwards)
° "Wild Thing"
° "Wingless Angels" (Keith Richards)
° "Winken, Blinken and Nod"
° "You Are My"
° "Sunshine" (Ray Charles)
° "Zaz Turned Blue"
° "The Happy End" (Kurt Weill)

Last edited by George on Fri May 08, 2015 8:30 pm, edited 10 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:07 pm 
Nighthawk

Writers, Poets And Composers

° Berlin, Irving (composer)
° Brown jr., Oscar (composer, singer)
° Büchner, Georg (writer)
° Bukowski, Charles (poet)
° Burroughs, William S. (beat poet)
° Carmichael, Hoagy (composer)
° Corso, Gregory (beat poet)
° Dorough, Bob (composer)
° Gershwin, George and Ira (composers)
° Ginsberg, Allen (beat poet)
° Kerouac, Jack (beat poet)
° McCarthy, Cormac (writer)
° McCullers, Carson (writer)
° McDonald, John D. (writer)
° McInnes, Collin (writer)
° McMurtry (writer)
° Mercer, Johnny (composer)
° Morricone, Ennio (composer)
° Nino Rota (composer)
° Nordine, Ken
° O´Connor, Flannery (writer)
° Pancake, D.J. (writer)
° Partch, Harry (composer)
° Porter, Cole (composer)
° Prokofiev (composer)
° Rachmaninoff (composer)
° Rechy, John (writer)
° Runyon, Damon (writer)
° Sanders, Ed (beat poet)
° Satie, Eric (composer)
° Schönberg, Arnold (composer)
° Schwartz, Delmore (beat poet)
° Selby, Hubert (writer)
° Shearing, George (composer, jazz instrumentalist)
° Wagner, Richard (composer)
° Weill, Kurt (composer)

Last edited by George on Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:09 pm 
Nighthawk

Influences And Favorites

Places

° Alamo Hotel (Austin Texas)
° Atchison
° Bar Harbor (Maine)
° B.C.D. Market (Los Angeles)
° Below the Earth (Los Angeles)
° Chicago
° Coney Island (New York)
° Cuban Night Clubs
° Fannin Street (Houston)
° Fifth Street (Los Angeles)
° Frolic Room (Los Angeles)
° Heritage (San Diego)
° Hollywood Boulevard (Los Angeles)
° Hong Kong
° Little Amsterdam Restaurant (near Petaluma CA)
° Los Angeles
° Manhattan (New York)
° Mission Beach (San Diego)
° Napoleone Pizza House (San Diego)
° New Orleans
° New York
° Paradise Motel (Los Angeles)
° Pawn Shops
° Placerville
° Porkcola National City (San Diego)
° Red´s Recovery Room (Gravenstein Hwy., Cotati)
° Red Wing Hatchery (Los Angeles)
° Reeperbahn (St. Pauli, Hamburg)
° Sterling Hotel (Cleveland)
° St. Louis
° Skid Row (Los Angeles)
° Swiss American Hotel (San Francisco)
° Tattoo Parlours
° The Ivar Theatre (Hollywood)
° The Nickel (Los Angeles)
° The Troubador (Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood)
° Tropicana Motel (Los Angeles)
° Vine Street (Los Angeles)
° Washington St. (New York)
° Weaverville
° Wedding Chapel (Los Angeles)
° Wilmont Hotel (Chicago)

Last edited by George on Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:31 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Covers By Album: 1973 - 2013
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:11 pm 
Nighthawk

Films

° Toby Dammit
° The Adventures Of Baron Munchausen (Terry Gilliam)
° The Pawnbroker (Sidney Lumet)
° The Ox-Bow Incident (William Wellman)
° Putney Swope (Robert Downey Sr.)
° Amarcord (Roberto Fellini)
° The Night Of The Hunter (Charles Laughton)
° To Kill A Mockingbird (Robert Mulligan)
° Burnt By The Sun (Nikita Mikhalkov)
° Babe: Pig In The City
° Dead Man (Jim Jarmush)
° East Of Eden (Elia Kazan)
° Wise Blood (John Hutson)
° Blade Runner (Ridley Scott)
° The Wild Bunch (Sam Peckinpah)
° Leaving Las Vegas
° Vernon, Florida (Errol Morris)
° Eraserhead (David Lynch)
° All Carl Dreyer Films
° La Strada (Roberto Fellini)
° They Live By Night (Nick Ray)
° Ikiru (Kurosawa)

Last edited by George on Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:38 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:12 pm 
Nighthawk

Books

° The Stories Of Breece D´J Pancake (Breece D´J Pancake)
° The Light The Dead See: Selected Poems Of Frank Stanford
° The Americans (Robert Frank)
° The Old West: The Gunfighters (Paul Trachtman)
° The Life And Legend of Leadbelly (Charles Wolfe And Kip Lornell)
° Pic (Jack Kerouac)
° On The Road (Jack Kerouac)
° Naked Lunch (William S. Burroughs)
° The Last Night Of The Earth Poems(Charles Bukowski)
° Hard Candy (Tennessee Williams)
° Nine Stories (J.D. Salinger)
° The Collected Works Of Billy The Kid: Left Handed Poems (Michael Ondaatje)
° It Catches My Heart In Ist Hands: New And Selected Poems 1955-1963 (Charles Bukowski)
° Mexico City Blues (Jack Kerouac)
° The Thanksgiving Prayer (William S. Burroughs)
° Phrase And Fable, Book of Knowledge
° Reference Books

Last edited by George on Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:13 pm 
Nighthawk

Stuff

° Balinese Music
° Black Music
° Caribbean Music
° Country & Western, Dance hall
° Dictionary of Slang
° Dictionary of Superstition
° Field hollars/ recordings
° Freight Trains
° Garage Sales
° Gypsy Music
° Halloween Music
° Human Oddities
° Hungarian Music
° Irish Music
° Jail Poems
° Japanese Melodies
° Jazz
° John Lomax Recordings
° Jump tunes
° Latin American Music
° Library of Congress Recordings
° Lithuanian Language Recordings
° Mariachi Music
° Mexican Movie Theatre
° Mexican Music
° Napoleon´s will
° Nigerian Folk Songs
° Opera
° Pakistan Music
° Ranchera Music
° Rap Music
° Relatives
° Religious Programs
° Russian Dances
° Salvation Army
° Sledgehammers
° Spaghetti-Westerns
° Spirituals
° Tarantella´s
° Tarus Bulba
° The Mellotron
° The Optigon
° Tribal Music
° Waltzes

Last edited by George on Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:13 pm 
Nighthawk

Other People

° Barnum and Bailey (circus showmen)
° John Blundell
° Joseph Cornell (artist)
° Hieronymous Bosch
° Lenny Bruce (entertainer/ comedian)
° Richard Burton
° Jimmy Durante (comedian, actor, narrator)
° Johnny Eck (circus freak)
° Max Ernst
° Guy Maddin (Canadian filmmaker)
° Ethel Merman (entertainer, musical celebrity)
° Tyrone Power (actor)
° The Ringling Brothers (circus showmen)
° Kurt Schwitters
° Ralph Waite (filmmaker)
° Robert Wilson
° Salvadore Dali
° Hal Willner (producer)
° Francis Bacon (painter)
° Pablo Picasso
° Roberto Benigni

Last edited by George on Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:57 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:15 pm 
Nighthawk

Tribute Albums

° 1988: Bad Liver & Hans Brustna Hjärtan - Fjorton Sanger
° 1989: The Piano Has Been Drinking - The Piano Has Been Drinking
° 1995: Holly Cole - Temptation
° 1995: Dolphin Blue - The Songs Of Tom Waits
° 1995: Various Artists - Step Right Up: The Songs Of Tom Waits
° 1996: Sven Henriksen - Rod Pust
° 1996: Jani Kovacic - Povablio Na Bluz
° 1996: Dolphin Blue - Dirt In The Ground
° 2000: Various Artists - New Coat Of Paint
° 2000: Michael Kiessling - Bukowski Waits For Us Vol.1
° 2000: Michael Kiessling - Bukowski Waits For Us Vol. 2
° 2000: Wolfgang Ambros - Nach mir die Sintflut
° 2001: John Hammond - Wicked Grin
° 2001: Billy´s Band - Being Tom Waits
° 2001: Claudia Bettinaglio - Saving All My Love For You
° 2001: The Carnival Saloon - The Carnival Saloon Live
° 2003: Stewart D´Arietta & Band - Tom Waits For No Man
° 2003: Shawn Barry - Under The Influence: The Songs Of Tom Waits
° 2003: Kazik Staszewski - Piosenki Toma Waitsa
° 2003: Laura Fedele - Pornoshow
° 2003: Hell Blues Choir - Greetings From Hell
° 2004: Dave Muldoon & The Boogey Man Orchestra - Kolonaki Session
° 2004: The Box Spring Hogs - God Is A Tom Waits Fan
° 2004: Michael Kiessling & Marie Gruber - Bukowski Waits For You
° 2004: Melanie Rivaud - Strange Weather (EP)
° 2005: Isabel Neuenfeldt & Michael Korn - The Bats In The Belfry
° 2005: Various Artists - East Of Sunset Soundtrack
° 2005: The Silverhearts - The Silverhearts Play Rain Dogs
° 2005: Raindogs - Live In Copenhagen (Bootleg)
° 2006: Cynthia Witthoft - Bad Breath (Bootleg)
° 2007: Pascal Fricke - Bangin´On The Table With An Old Tin Cup
° 2007: Dolphin Blue - Dolphin Blue Live
° 2007: Dara Sheahan - Tom Waits In My Soul
° 2008: Scarlett Johansson - Anywhere I Lay My Head
° 2008: Southside Johnny & La Bamba´s Big Band - Grapefruit Moon
° 2008: Carlos Careqa - A Espera De Tom
° 2008: Hakon L. Tandberg - Tom Waits In My Rockin´Chair
° 2008: Dolphin Blue - Learning The Trade
° 2008: Various Artists - Female Tribute To Tom Waits (Bootleg)
° 2009: Bad Liver & Hans Brustna Hjärtan - Fjortan Sanger Till
° 2010: Brandon Bernstein - Innocent When You Dream
° 2010: Frans van Deursen - Scherven Van Een Leegedronken Nacht
° 2011: Various Artists - What´s He Building In There? (Digital Album)
° 2012: Harry Siers - Twalf
° 2012: Gavin Bryars/Jess Walker - Mercy And Grand
° 2012: Squid - Picture In A Frame
° 2012: Serena Spedicato - My Waits. Tom Waits Songbook
° 2013: Various Artists - Shirim Meshumashin
° 2013: Glauco Venier - Waits
° 2013: Tom Cheshire & Jeffrey Butzer - The Piano Is Firewood (Digital Album)
° 2013: Marissa Mulder - Tom...In His Words
° 2013: Linda Westera - Raindogs & Rozen
° 2014: Rebekka Bakken - Little Drop Of Poison
° 2014: Buddy Peace - Donkey Kong Variations
° 2014: Zachary Scott Johnson - The Piano Has Been Drinking: The Songs Of Tom Waits
° 2015: Ebba Forsberg - Om Jag Lämnar Dig. Ebba Forsberg Sjunger Tom Waits
° 2015: Carlos Careqa - Por Um Pouco De Veneno
° 2015: Leslie Damaso - Chained To The World
° 2015: Various Artists - Tom Waits Zaspiewany
° 2016: Raffaela Siniscalchi - Waitin´4 Waits
° 2016: Rev. Barry Willie Black - Tom by Thumb
° 2017: Charlie Giordano - Solo Piano: Charlie Giordano Performs Tom Waits' Rain Dogs
° 2017: Innocent When You Dream - Innocent When You Dream: Dirt In The Ground

Last edited by George on Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 21 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:18 pm 
Nighthawk

Highest Chart Position

° 1973 Closing Time: N/A

° 1974 The Heart Of Saturday Night: N/A

° 1975 Nighthawks At The Diner: UK N/A; US 164

° 1976 Small Change: UK N/A; US 89

° 1977 Foreign Affairs: N/A

° 1978 Blue Valentine: UK N/A; US 181

° 1980 Heartattack And Vine: UK N/A; US 96

° 1982 One From The Heart: N/A

° 1983 Swordfishtrombones: UK 62; US 167

° 1985 Rain Dogs: UK 28; US 188

° 1987 Franks Wild Years: UK 20; US 115

° 1992 Bone Machine: UK N/A; US 176

° The Black Rider: N/A

° 1999 Mule Variations: UK 9; US 30

° 2002 Blood Money: UK 21; US 32

° 2002 Alice: UK 20; US 33

° 2004 Real Gone: UK 16; US 28

° 2006 Orphans: UK 49; US 74

° 2011 Bad As Me: UK 10; US 6

"Tom Waits is not, and has never been, a singles artist. Many of his US and UK singles were actually issued after their albums´release dates; hardly a strategy for chart dominance. Hits? Nothing in a 40-year career. Artists from The Eagles ("Ol´55") to Rod Stewart ("Downtown Train") have covered and charted his songs, but the closest Tom has come to the popular hit parade is in France, in 2011, where "Bad As Me" made No. 50. "Back In The Crowd" [Downlowd] made No. 73 in the Belgian Flanders Ultratop Chart. (We think that Counts as a hit!)." (Uncut, 2014)

Last edited by George on Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next