Tom Waits Fan Forums

A haven for the Tom Waits Fans of the world!
>
It is currently Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: NEED HELP!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:38 pm 
Eyeball Kid

hey all i'm new to the board. i'm doing a dissertation for college about things performers did in their live act that was bold or different to what they did before and how it was recieved. i was hoping you guys could give me some suggestions about things that tom did that i could write about?

i think i saw a video on youtube where he had a set built on stage, and he closed the show by rooting through a trash can and finding a jacket. was the set there for the whole show? was the show played out like it was a play in some fashion?

anyway stuff like that. anything that was innovative or even just different from what he used to do. any and all help would be grately appreciated!

Post subject: Re: NEED HELP!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:57 am 
Eyeball Kid

EVERYTHING Tom does is innovative, bold and different... :D
I saw him live in Perth, Australia, in1979. He had some sets and dressed up a bit. Sang 'Potters Field' dressed in an old dressing gown while taking chugs from a bottle of wine which he threw over the backdrop when he had finished (I assume someone backstage caught it!)
I think you should look at his older stuff as he doesn't seem to do the stage set thing so much now.
Have a look at the stuff on the ftp site as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:43 am 
Eyeball Kid

Thanks! it's stuff that was different for him that i'm looking for. something that could have upset his fans. what's the ftp site?

that potter's field bit sounds good though. when he started out it'd mostly be him playing a piano with a band in a conventional manner wouldn't it? so it would be fair to say meandering around in a dressing gown was quit a departure?

also some of the clips from the raindogs tour look kinda funky. anyone any info on that?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:46 am 
Nighthawk

That's right, Wait's shows are always theater. Not like the stadium spectacle of big rock bands. Very innovative. You can find lots of good info in the TW Library http://www.tomwaitsfan.com/tom%20waits%20library/www.tomwaitslibrary.com/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:56 am 
Eyeball Kid

forum topic re ftp site: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2864

daftdog wrote:
EVERYTHING Tom does is innovative, bold and different...

I meant this and I think most who follow Tom do because he is so different and if you are looking for controversy then maybe Tom is not the one to be looking at; pretty hard to upset his fans I think.

anyway good luck and I second the post about the Tom Waits library, a great source of info.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:27 am 
Eyeball Kid

doesn't necessarily have to have upset fans, just something that was different for him.
thanks for everything guys that library looks great!

can you recommend any books that might be useful?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:19 pm 
Nighthawk

Well, the first couple of times I saw him he would pull a can of beer out of his jacket pocket at the end of the show. Then in '77 he had a refrigerator on stage to hold his can of beer. It was astounding! There are books out there but I don't have them except one that I can't remember the name of right now. Humphries I think is the author. Anyway, it's not that great. Pretty much anything anyone has written in books can be found in the TW Library but maybe some of the others here can recommend books.
He did become more & more theatrical with his sets & his persona through the years. Street light then gas pumps as props as well as things like the trash cans you mentioned. I think what you saw was a BBC television special. I've read about him playing a typewriter on stage. I think that kind of culminated with the '87 Frank's tour. You can see that on an Austin City Limits from '87 if I remember right & the movie Big Time of course. To the present his shows are theatrical in his own way using simple props like dust, flash light, mirrored hat, bullhorn & the like. Always interesting to see what he will come up with next although I haven't seen a show myself since '99. Good luck with your project & welcome to the forum.