Tom Waits Fan Forums

A haven for the Tom Waits Fans of the world!
>
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 348, 349, 350, 351, 352, 353, 354 ... 358  Next
 Post subject: Re: Random Tom Waits Things
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:53 pm 
Nighthawk

:!:

:megaphone: mhc, hurry! Tom is right across the river from you!

Unfortunately both of those cities are hours away and my current schedule doesn't allow for travel. :x
Too bad Tom isn't visiting Cincinnati at the end of May when I'll be there for a family occasion.

C'mon, Tom! Stop by and say hello, Cleveland! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:45 pm 
Papa Razzi
 WWW  Profile

Dayton OH

Attachments:
dayton.jpg
dayton.jpg [ 72.62 KiB | Viewed 648 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:33 pm 
Papa Razzi
 WWW  Profile

A tender and intimate memoir by one of the most remarkable, trailblazing, and tenacious women in music, the two-time Grammy Award–winning “premiere song-stylist and songwriter of her generation” (Hilton Als), Rickie Lee Jones

Rickie Lee
By Rickie Lee Jones
Grove Press
978-0-8021-2712-9 • $27.00 • Forthcoming in Cloth • Nov. 2017
Memoir
One weekend night on primetime television, a then-unknown singer and vital part of the burgeoning Los Angeles jazz pop scene skyrocketed to fame overnight after a now iconic performance on Saturday Night Live. The year was 1979, the song “Chuck E’s in Love,” and the singer, donning her trademark red beret, was the soon to be pronounced “Duchess of Coolsville” (Time), Rickie Lee Jones. Rickie Lee is the first ever no-holds-barred account of the life of one of rock’s hardest working women in her own words. With candor and lyricism Rickie Lee Jones takes us on the journey of her exceptional life: from her nomadic childhood as the granddaughter of vaudevillian performers, to her father’s abandonment of the family and her years as a teenage runaway, her beginnings at LA’s Troubadour club, to her tumultuous (and private) relationship with Tom Waits, motherhood as a touring artist, and longevity as a woman in rock and roll.

Including never-before-told stories and accounts of the music business as she’s lived it, and illustrated with stunning personal photos, this is an indispensable chronicle of one of rock’s strongest women, an innovative music icon who was listed at number 30 on VH1’s “100 Greatest Women of Rock & Roll,” has graced the cover of Rolling Stone twice, and who has been a major influence on contemporary popular music.

Attachments:
ricky lee.jpg
ricky lee.jpg [ 1.78 MiB | Viewed 610 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:55 pm 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

I have a random Tom Waits question. I've been looking for a video I viewed here on the forum around the time I joined and can't find it. It was an old black and white video, a scene from a film I think, of some people singing "Good morning Mr. Barber snip, snip, snip get your hair cut just as short as mine."
Any clue? I've tried the search but had no luck.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:11 pm 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

MikeWaits wrote:
I have a random Tom Waits question. I've been looking for a video I viewed here on the forum around the time I joined and can't find it. It was an old black and white video, a scene from a film I think, of some people singing "Good morning Mr. Barber snip, snip, snip get your hair cut just as short as mine."

The line is borrowed from "Good Morning Mr. Zip-Zip-Zip" so it may have been a version of this.

http://www.tomwaitsfan.com/tom%20waits% ... rshop.html
Quote:
"Good Morning Mr. Zip-Zip-Zip" is a ragtime song written by Robert Lloyd and published as sheet music in 1918 by Leo Feist Inc. of New York City. It was a popular if quirky tune with United States soldiers during the WW-I.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:36 am 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

Jeremy wrote:
MikeWaits wrote:

The line is borrowed from "Good Morning Mr. Zip-Zip-Zip" so it may have been a version of this.

http://www.tomwaitsfan.com/tom%20waits% ... rshop.html
Quote:
"Good Morning Mr. Zip-Zip-Zip" is a ragtime song written by Robert Lloyd and published as sheet music in 1918 by Leo Feist Inc. of New York City. It was a popular if quirky tune with United States soldiers during the WW-I.

Thank you Jeremy, that was excellent information :notworthy: I was able to track down an exact version of the video I was speaking of :)

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:03 pm 
Nighthawk

Swingin'!

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:45 pm 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

https://www.biddingforgood.com/auction/ ... =278810187
Quote:
Rare TOM WAITS Autographed Black Derby Hat

From the collection of Tom Waits, named as one of the 100 Greatest Singers of All Time in Rolling Stone Magazine in 2015, this signed Derby hat will be the focal point for any Tom Waits collector. Made of 100% wool, Tom's hat is signed inside "My Hat, Tom Waits", and is priceless Rock'n'Roll Memorabilia.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:13 pm 
Nighthawk

:megaphone: BUNBURY!!!!

Looks like the hat from the G&D tour.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:51 pm 
Nighthawk

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:28 pm 
Papa Razzi
 WWW  Profile

Melisma wrote:
:megaphone: BUNBURY!!!!

Looks like the hat from the G&D tour.

No that was Le Chapeau. ;)
---------------------------------------
One of the reasons I love FB

Attachments:
rochelle firestone tom waits in the neighborhood2.jpg
rochelle firestone tom waits in the neighborhood2.jpg [ 118.5 KiB | Viewed 361 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:01 am 
Nighthawk
 WWW  Profile

Location: On a flatboat, heading to Natchez, with no shirt and no coat (aka NYC)
Trawling the concert listings tonight (I'm trying to put together a concert decathlon for my birthday week :P ) and came across this one, oddly enough at a teensy place in Brooklyn that is usually host to avant garde and free jazz type stuff. I'm not plannig on going, but it feels like a tribute to me to do an avant-jazz Tom Waits cover night on my birthday. :mrgreen:

Quote:
Innocent When You Dream: The Music of Tom Waits CD Launch
Friday, June 2nd 8:30 PM $15 Suggested Donation

8pm
Brian Drye – Solo Trombone

8:45pm
Innocent When You Dream
Aaron Shragge – trumpet/shakuhachi
Ryan Anselmi – tenor sax
Myk Freedman – lap steel guitar
Mike Gam – bass
Deric Dickens – Drums

Innocent When You Dream brings a new element to Waits’ music while remaining true to its essence. The quintet interprets Waits’ stylistically diverse repertoire by creating instrumental versions of his most memorable songs. Using lyrical content and mood as the starting point for exploration, the band moves beyond the realm of covers creating a distinctive sound that draws from Jazz, rock, blues, World music and the avant-garde.

Unclear if the solo trombonist is also playing TW covers... I can't imagine :lol: It's a nice touch how the venue lists the show at 8:30 and then the trombonist's set is at 8. Guess they want to make sure no one hears that by accident.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:31 am 
Nighthawk

SarahV wrote:
Trawling the concert listings tonight (I'm trying to put together a concert decathlon for my birthday week :P ) and came across this one, oddly enough at a teensy place in Brooklyn that is usually host to avant garde and free jazz type stuff. I'm not plannig on going, but it feels like a tribute to me to do an avant-jazz Tom Waits cover night on my birthday. :mrgreen:

Quote:

8pm

Innocent When You Dream
Ryan Anselmi – tenor sax
Mike Gam – bass
Deric Dickens – Drums

Innocent When You Dream brings a new element to Waits’ music while remaining true to its essence. The quintet interprets Waits’ stylistically diverse repertoire by creating instrumental versions of his most memorable songs. Using lyrical content and mood as the starting point for exploration, the band moves beyond the realm of covers creating a distinctive sound that draws from Jazz, rock, blues, World music and the avant-garde.

Unclear if the solo trombonist is also playing TW covers... I can't imagine :lol: It's a nice touch how the venue lists the show at 8:30 and then the trombonist's set is at 8. Guess they want to make sure no one hears that by accident.

I might enjoy Waits covers on solo trombone.

I generally dislike Waits cover acts. Seen enough to last me a lifetime, it feels like, but this sounds different.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:29 am 
Pretty Little Bullet

mmmhh ....sigh...would love to join you...

SarahV wrote:

Quote:

8pm

Innocent When You Dream
Ryan Anselmi – tenor sax
Mike Gam – bass
Deric Dickens – Drums

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:42 pm 
Nighthawk

Maybe it's a swordfishtrombone he's playing?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 348, 349, 350, 351, 352, 353, 354 ... 358  Next